View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNuge View Post

Been thinking about the firebox and have a couple ideas.

One idea is to have the firebox attached to the door and have the whole thing on sliders so it pulls out all as one piece. Would make it nice and easy for filling and cleaning and the handle would be on the outside so even when the fire has been going for hours it would be easy to slide out far enough to add more lump or whatever.

The other idea is to have a normal hinged door and a firebox separate that still is on sliders and pulls out. May be easier to build and seems like the more standard approach but I'm not sure if there are some benefits to it that I'm not thinking of or what. One advantage would be for keeping the door open while starting the fire to let it breathe, but even with the first option I think I would be fine if I just left it slid out an inch or two, that would be quite a bit of air. I'm also going to have a 25CFM Stoker fan hooked up to it so air shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? And thanks for looking.

Trent
I would think you'd want to keep the door and the firebox separate, just so you don't have to slide out the firebox every time you want to peek at the fire. I would definitely put it on rails so you can slide it out easily, and add a handle. That's one thing my backwoods doesn't have, so it's a bit of a pain to slide in and out to add charcoal or chunks of wood.

Also, you may want to check on the size of the fan for the stoker. I have a fatboy and use the 5cfm with no issue. 25cfm may be overkill.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->