View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #56
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightnin92 View Post
I'm gearing up for a superbowl bash and I was wondering what is the best way to cook wings with this rub? I've never used it before and I won't have time for any trial runs. Any sage wisdom?
I cooked mine indirect on the egg at around 300*-325* with the plate setter in. I would say 45 min to an hour. I think the higher heat helps render the skin and keeps them from being chewy.

Not to be a bore, but here's a story about my last effort. If I didn't have time to experiment with different methods before the game, I would take Ryan's advice and go with the tried and true method.

There is a bbq joint around here that makes some farking awesome smoked wings. They are more fall off the bone tender rather than crispy as you would find with deep fried. I've been trying to get my wings to come out this way but haven't had much success until this last run. I may have stumbled onto the solution. Since I was taking this batch to a friends house for a party, I had planned on saucing them and reheating them in the oven once I got there. Turns out maybe the rest and the reheat in the oven got me to the promised land that I had been searching for. Now they weren't the crispy, fresh off the grill or right out of the fryer type, but I don't care, they were awesome. I would imagine that the wings that I get at the bbq joint have been smoked prior and are reheated to order which would explain why I found similar results doing the same.

That said, I have made them this way plenty of times without the reheat and they are great fresh off the smoker as well.

As far as prep goes, the night before, I filled 2 large zip lock bags full of wings and I put 4 Tbls. of Hot Wing Rub in each bag and worked it around until they were all coated. This way, there was a minimal amount of fumes in the air. The next day I went outside, put the wings on the egg and sprinkled on some more rub.

Sorry to be so long winded and good luck with the wings!

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
Thanks from:--->