View Single Post
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #76
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2QN View Post
This year I cooked a turkey in my Weber 22.5 kettle. Not a complete failure. Thank goodness for the fried bird. I brined both turkey's, 12-13 lb.ers two days prior and let them refrigerate the last 24 hours prior to the cook. I used a small Ice chest to brine both the birds at the same time. The problem was I forgot to start the bird breast side down.

Anyway, to my question: If cooking a Turkey in the UDS, do you have to flip/rotate the bird at all during the cooking process? I wouldn't think so as the heat source is below the bird in the UDS as opposed being off to the side in the Weber kettle.
I don't. First of all, typically, the UDS temp is fairly consistent throughout. The only real difference is that you do get some direct heat with the UDS, but since we want the thigh/leg to be a little warmer when finished than the breast, my thinking is that this will allow the leg/thigh to get more direct heat and keep the breast "guarded" from it. PLUS...if you ice the breast this will help as well.

I just did some chickens yesterday and the only reason I flipped was that the thighs were at 165 IT and the breasts were still at 135 so I wanted the breasts to speed up. That's the only reason I can forsee needing to flip. Other than that, turkeys stay on their backs for the whole cook.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote