BBQ Brethren "Mongo's Birthday OPEN" Throwdown!

For Mongo's birthday, I decided to do something different - so I took a partial boneless leg of lamb, marinated it for 24 hours, then put some rub on it, and set it spinning on the UDS rotisserie till it was cooked to a perfect medium, just the way Mongo likes his lamb.

Here's the lamb after I pulled it out of the marinade, which consisted of olive oil, LOTS of chopped garlic(Mongo really likes garlic) sea salt, pepper, lemon juice, and fresh rosemary and thyme:

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

I then seasoned the lamb with Rub Company Original & BBQ seasonings:

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

I then fired up the UDS, and put the lamb on when the drum reached 325 degrees:

DSC_0183.jpg

About an hour and a half later, the lamb was almost done:

DSC_0184.jpg

Shortly after that, I pulled it off and let it rest:

DSC_0185.jpg

About 40 mins later, I began slicing:

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

The lamb was beautifully cooked, and the combination of the marinade and rub was nothing short of fantastic!

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Moose cooked Lamb too???

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

And he farking nailed it!:nod::thumb::hungry:

Sheesh, could my meal have been planned any worse?:rolleyes:

Well, since Tim was willing to fess up about his ruined Christmas Dinner, I figured I would share this disastrous Birthday meal I just made for my Birthday, which I had planned to enter in Mongo's Birthday Open Throwdown.:tsk:

Before I get to the pics, let me set the scene.

I set up all the ingredients, got the grill all lit up, and set up my tripod. I'm all set to work some of my patented Throwdown Magic!:thumb:

I turn on the camera and the farking Low Battery Light is flashing!:doh: For farking cripes sake!:mad:

So I go and plug in the farking battery while I prep the food and put it on the grill at the proper times.

When stuff is starting to get done, I put the battery back in the camera to get at least one shot on the grill. Sorry this pic and the meat are so farked up, it just wasn't my day. As you can tell, things are not going my way at all.:mad2:

r_IMG_1198.jpg

Since you probably can't tell what that mangled and charred beyond recognition piece of meat is, I'll give you a hint. It's a Lamb Rack.:shock: That ashen looking packet of foil has my Scalloped Potatoes in it.

I then grilled up some Romaine for a Salad, but of course I didn't get a picture of that, GO FIGURE!:roll:

I plated up the sorrowful remains as best as I could. It was supposed to be Rack of Lamb seasoned with a simple steak seasoning, Scalloped Potatoes with Gruyere and Cheddar, and a Grilled Romaine Salad with Gorgonzola, Toasted Pine Nuts and drizzled with Olive Oil, Balsamic, and fresh squeezed Lemon Juice. It is so farking hideous, I have to warn you before you take a look at these pics!:hand:

r_IMG_1199.jpg

r_IMG_1206.jpg

It wasn't a total loss however. I did manage to get one pic that was money!:thumb:

coins-2.jpg

:tsk: It's OK Biggie, there will be better days ahead. Just remember that and you'll be OK.:becky:

FARKER!! I see 2 money shots and I don't mean the $.66 :hungry:

Last edited:
Great entries Moose and Biggie... Mongo has only had lamb a couple times in his role of pawn in game of life, but he is sure both of these would be off the hook. :thumb:

Geez, I go offline for four days and you fellers went to town without me! All great cooks so far!

Rib Roast Bone-in Choice Beef Rib for Mongo

13 pounds of awesome looking meat for Mongo.
I coated it with EVOO and Montreal steak seasoning.
Then I let it sit in the fridge overnight.
Pulled it Christmas morning and let it sit at room temp for about 5 hrs.
I cooked it in my old Imperial Kamado on Christmas day!

DSC04028.jpg

DSC04026.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

I ended up smoking this for about 4 1/2 hrs, internal temp 120 and then set it on my weber kettle to sear. When I put in on the kettle it caught fire. That was fun. Then I let it rest for one hr. The temp went up to 131. Then I cut it up and we ate. Some of the Family felt it was too rare so I took some slices back outside a seared them. Me and Mongo ate the rest!

Money shot!
DSC04063.jpg

So tonight I finally got around to making one of my favorites. It is a simple smoked salmon pasta dish that I make several times a year. Since there are only two of us I usually freeze the rest and eat on it as time goes by. Luckily for me this also happens to be the same dish that garnered a zero in the FNG TD:

1750391_colonel00.jpg

This time around I didn't have time for the fancy setup and the random angler beer. Then again, I now suspect that all you Jayhawk haters are the reason I got a zero before :tsk:. Anyway, as I reviewed my previous entry I found a double bonus. It seems that Al Czervik really loved it the first time around as evidenced here:

Colonel this looks just like a dish I had last weekend that was absolutely fantastic. YUM!

and here:

Please do put together the thread/description... I'd love to add it to our favorites tab! I would have already burst your bubble if I was paying better attention to the entries. Alas I have no more votes to cast.

So, for obvious reasons this shall be an entry into Al's Birthday suit Throwdown. Obviously this is a guaranteed winner if the birthday boy himself loves it. He even offered to burst my bubble, whatever that means NTTAWWT :tsk: Maybe not, but it was finally a chance to share this simple dish so Al could cook it in some upcoming TD and win with it.

So I started out with a simple grocery list: A pound of farfalle pasta, some cooking wine, a little EVOO, a jar of roasted red pepper alfredo sauce (yeah, I went all out), some peppers, peas, onions, mushrooms and such. In the middle is some fancy crab meat, literally :tsk:. When I went to the grocery store I didn't realize that the second biggest thing to cook on Christmas after rib roast was real crab meat and to my surprise they were out. I thought about checking another store but it was far and it too was surely affected by this rush for crab meat. Oh yeah, I also pulled out a couple salmon filets I smoked just the other month :roll:

002.jpg

IMAG0465.jpg

So, we start with all the chopped peppers, mushrooms and onions in a sauce pan with a little EVOO. Not really caramelizing, just cooking until they are softened.

012-2.jpg

As it was going I decided to add some garlic because, well, I like garlic.

013-1.jpg

Soon the peppers were nice and soft.

015-1.jpg

Then add exactly 3 glugs of cooking wine and let it regain a little heat.

019.jpg

Once the temp comes back up a little, add the meat. I made a slight mistake at this point as I left the meat on the heat a little too long and it became more mush than flaked salmon. It was still good but just didn't retain its chunkiness.

020-1.jpg

Oh yeah, the peas go in now too. Now, you have two options. If I was cooking in a bigger pan I could have added the sauce here but instead I removed it from the heat and waited patiently for the pasta to cook....

021-1.jpg

031.jpg

(Notice the watched pot is actually boiling :shocked:)

Once the pasta is done and drained, in goes the meat and veggie mix followed by the alfredo sauce.

034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

As I mentioned, the salmon "cooked" a little too much and I was a little rough with it so it ended up breaking down a bit more than I would have liked. In the end, though, it came out still pretty good and easily good enough for Mongo :becky:

055.jpg

056.jpg

053.jpg

DSC04063.jpg

053.jpg

:shock::shocked::shock::shocked::shock::shocked:

I'm almost speechless... The only words that come to mind are "Mongo rikee rots" :thumb: and "I'm going to have to shopping for some bigger clothes" :heh:

Great job gentlemen... :becky:

Since I knocked out my Zeros TD entry in a matter of a few seconds, I now have time to devote to this throwdown.

What to do, what to do?

I wonder if I can submit my Italian Burrito again for this throwdown, so I don't have to actually make anything new? I need to look at the dates.

I need to rethink my strategy for 2012, so I can enter at least two, and maybe even three throwdowns with one meal. Cooking a new entry for every throwdown is soooooo last year.

But, for this one, I really think I need to go out there and try to win one for the Mongo. :cheer2:

Well, if I can find the time. :becky:

CD

Back