View Single Post
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #9070
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I was surfing CL and found a Stainless Steel Drum about 2 yrs ago. I bought it for $50, knowing it was probably worth close to that in scrap.
It held Tea-Tree Oil that said cosmetic grade (?), no liner. The process has taken about a year, you can see snow from last year on the ground in the lid removal exercise... Side note: A drum deheader will not work on a SS drum. The steel just stretched.

2 Blades Later:

Burn out last summer

Fire basket, the Expanded metal is too light for any longtime use. I was able to get this scrap for free.

All hardware it stainless

Themometer, I need to make a spacer to increase space between the vent holes and the dial.

This is a SS BGE air vent I bought on ebay.

A neodymium magnet will be installed on the lower nut to catch caps.

I need to get the enamel off the lid so I can repaint it.

I have a course cup brush for my cutting wheel, I may go over the outside to make it look more consistent and try to use that to get the enamel off the lid. The discoloration is from the burn out, I used a leaf blower to stoke the flames.
I'll taking it out for a spin later on, a simple cook. sausage.
I'll post pics.

Thanks for all of those that have posted in this thread. There are some seriously talented people here sharing knowledge and experiences.

IMHO you are not going to get an accurate temp with your thermometer that far from the grill. But then again, i've been wrong before. I would put an oven therometer on the grill and compare the two temp's.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote