View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #9062
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well learning more as I go.

Yesterday it was ribs on the UDS. Unfortunately I had tickets to the Redskins vs Vikings game so I tried talking my 19 year old son through the process. Thought I had him started before I left for the game, figured I would have ribs ready for me when I returned. Son left the vents wide open, melted the stick on fridge magnets, got the drum up to at least 350 for a couple hours, then asked me when he should put the ribs on. Finally got him sorted out over the phone and the ribs at the right temp. I'm guessing because of the high starting temp he ran out of charcoal. Ended up finishing the ribs in the oven. But they tasted great.

Today went a bit better. I had a package of 2 pork shoulders from Costco. Woke up about 7:00 got the meat out, had the #2 son inject some apple juice and put the homemade rub on the meat while I got the fire started. Had the meat on the fire before 8:00. Got the UDS settled down between 225 and 250 where it stayed nicely all day.

But even after 12 hours the meat thermometer was showing only 170 internal temperature. It was smelling too good and I was getting hungry for a late dinner so I pulled them off the grill, let them sit for a little while and started chopping one up. Made some awesome sandwiches with some basic Carolina vinegar sauce and just a touch of Sweet Baby Ray's.

Family was happy with the results of all three cooking attempts so far.

Here is the pron of the pork shoulders on the UDS.

Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->