BBQ Brethren "Mongo's Birthday OPEN" Throwdown!

Wow Mongo.

Can I just come to your house for Christmas? :hungry: I will bring my own Guinness.

Al, I am starting to hate you for these incredible surf n turf, multi part meals! No one can beat them :-D

Wow Mongo.

Can I just come to your house for Christmas? :hungry: I will bring my own Guinness.

Whew, glad this TD is now over. What is next?

My thoughts exactly!:clap: Now I know why Al picked this one, he already had it locked up.:thumb:

Besides, who's going to vote against the Birthday Boy?

Thanks for all the kind words but I know when people are blowing smoke up my skirt... :tsk:

Now please get off your collective butts and get cooking... :becky:

And please remember this is my surf and turf and nacho surf and turf.. :heh:

And please remember this is my surf and turf and nacho surf and turf.. :heh:

I don't see any corn chips in that pic? Are there corn chips in there? I don't know how to make nacho surf-n-turf without corn chips. CD is going to have a real conniption fit when he tries to figure that out. I wouldn't be surprised if he short-circuits. :shock:

Last edited:
Wow, Mongo, that's a real protein fest. :shocked:

That's as much food in one meal as I'll probably eat all weekend. Impressive.

CD

Don't you mean, "And please remember this is surf and turf and nacho surf and turf?"

CD:becky:

No... that's not what I meant. Like I said, it's my surf-n-turf and nacho surf-n-turf... :tsk: Can someone please help CD out with this concept... :confused:

Wow, Mongo, that's a real protein fest. :shocked:

That's as much food in one meal as I'll probably eat all weekend. Impressive.

CD

Hey... When you want to look like this, ya gotta stoke the furnace. :becky:

attachment.php

While I'm on a roll....Look at me, entering Throwdowns left and right, willie-nillie all like with the same cook.....

Cook thread reposes here..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122760

Baked Spaghetti made with Smoked Meat Sauce, Pulled Pork Shoulder and Pan Fried CornBread
Money_Shot_15.jpg

I will celebrate my birth on the 31st by the by....

Nice looking meal N8man. I was going to submit whatever it was I cooked on Mongoday, but I think it looks a bit too much like what Mongo already ate. :icon_blush:

My wife even baked him a cake, well, a flourless one anyway (not a submission).

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

WTF, it is an open TD, just submit it, Gore -- unless what you are really saying is your wife did all the cooking, and you sat around like a 1950's husband.

I will be back at home on Wednesday, and hope to submit something before I go camping on New Year's weekend. I'm still trying to channel my inner Mongo. It's not nearly as painful as channeling my inner bigabyte, and I am sure the effects won't last as long, but it does require a significant amount of substance abuse.

I think that once I get home, I will come up with something.

CD

Money_Shot_15.jpg

Great looking meal Nate.:thumb:

I especially liked the two "Mongo" meatballs! :becky:

IMG_4261.jpg

Please tell ecode thanks soooooo much for the cake. It looks very tasty! :becky:

WTF, it is an open TD, just submit it, Gore -- unless what you are really saying is your wife did all the cooking, and you sat around like a 1950's husband.

It isn't that. It is just boring and looks like a repeat of what Mongo cooked already, minus the yummy seafood. I'll let you judge yourself. I started out with a loin roast, just like Mongo did. I seasoned it up with Foil Hat, Lawry's and parsley, just like Mongo did. and cooked it indirect at 250* for about two hours, just like Mongo did. You kind of get the feeling that the philosophy of this cook can be summed up with the rhetorical question, "What would Mongo do?" :tsk:

IMG_4252.jpg

I had two thermometers in it and they were 30 degrees apart (incredible, really). I pulled with one at 147* and the other at 117*. I figured the high one wasn't centered. I pulled and just waited. The one at 147* dropped to about 140* and the other one rose to about 130* after 25-30 minutes. I then seared:

IMG_4253.jpg

Pulled and sliced:

IMG_4255.jpg

Pic looks a bit too red, but it was really a beautiful, uniform medium rare, just a bit on the rare side.... and completely boring.

The night before we had a pork roast. I seasoned this the same way:

IMG_4165.jpg

I cooked this a bit hotter, 275* until both probes were at about 145*. Again, I pulled and rested for about 20 minutes while I brought up the Oval to 500*. Then seared on the other side:

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

And sliced:

IMG_4172.jpg

At least that wasn't the same thing Mongo made. :tsk: See, I expect none of you were able to stay awake through that. :yawn: Sorry Mongo for such a boring meal. At least the cake added a little life to the party. I'll try to put something decent together later this week for a belated cook.

Back