View Single Post
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #9045
vance237
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I use a guru - works great, super lazy. Really like it for starting the burn, does not take the extra time to stabalize that the basic UDS does. I have managed a 1am start up in under 5 minutes. Hell, one time I did it in probably 2 (but that was not intended)

A single blower on the side will cause a very uneven burn in your coals. It will probably cook fine - but looks terrible... Likewise, a single vent on top will cause uneven temps (at least if you are cooking on the hot side). When I cook hot, I either rotate my food, or the lid. I like having the elivated smoke stack as my lid holds water. If you use a Weber lid, ymmv.

If you search my posts - I ultimately rebuilt mine and put a false bottom in the drum with a bottom blower. It diffuses the blow 360 around the edge of the drum. Like the Guru, it is overkill - but works quite well.
This is exactly how I want to build mine, but I can't search your posts. Can you pm them to me or shoot me a drawing or pic... Figuring I only need one hole in the bottom for the guru, but want to make sure the air is circulating properly.
vance237 is offline   Reply With Quote