Smoked Gouda Mornay Eggs Florenbenedict

Donna always brings a couple of these home from her yearly dive trip to Bonaire.
gouda.jpg

Cut the cheese and cold smoked, at night, with some hickory. Temp never got above 77:-D, with no ice:thumb:
ch12.jpg
ch11.jpg

The goods
ch10.jpg

Fired up Homey and sauteed some spinach.
ch9.jpg

Talk about shrinkage!
ch8.jpg

Made the mornay starting with a roux, added milk, black pepper, nutmeg, an egg yolk, and smoked Gouda
ch6.jpg

ch5.jpg

Grilled up a couple of English muffins along with some slices of home made capicola.
ch7.jpg

Poached a couple of eggs, one at a time. Pretty much all that was left of the coals.
ch4.jpg

Final assemblage.
ch3.jpg

I made two for myself(Donna's in Indianapolis with her peeps). They was GOOD! Please use this shot and thanks for looking.
ch13.jpg

ch13.jpg

Great job bluetang. :thumb: Another home run. I'd love both of those for breakfast right now! :becky:

I had the ultimate idea for this Throwdown, but I will not be able to enter it today. If anyone wants a guaranteed winning entry idea, just PM me.:heh:

Oooooo, a guaranteed winning entry ... and coming from Bigabyte. :shock:

He always has the inside track. Well it's a bit too late. I decided what to do and I'm getting a bit of help with one part.

Here is my humble entry....

I was invited to a Christmas party to a friend of a friend’s party. So I wanted to come up with some type of a finger foods or small plate item. I decided to go with the Stuffed Pork Tenderloin because it is not your usual fare, and it is just darned tasty.

I picked up the ingredients:
12.17.11-bbq-039.jpg

Pork tenderloins are normally 5.99/lb at the grocery store, I found these at the Asian market for 2.99/lb and they are beautiful. Don’t confuse these with Pork Loins – two different parts of the pig.

Then onto Lockeford Meat & Sausage Service to pick up some of their fabled sausages. Pictured here on the left is their fresh basil sausage, and on the right their fresh jalapeno sausage.

Then picked up the cheeses; We have smoked gouda and smoked cheddar, and last but not least picked up some Poblano peppers (which for some reason are called Pasilla peppers here in California).

Next step is to butterfly the tenderloin.
12.17.11-bbq-042.jpg

This was done by slicing down through the widest part of the tenderloin to about 1/4” from slicing all the way through. Then pull apart and flatten.

Once flattened I covered with plastic wrap, and grabbed my mallet.
12.17.11-bbq-048.jpg

While working out my pent up frustrations :smash: I also managed to change the shape of the tenderloin enough for it to become a clean palette for my creative phase.
12.17.11-bbq-049.jpg

I have two tenderloins, two different kinds of cheeses, and two different kinds of sausage. One will be stuffed with the jalapeno sausage & smoked cheddar, the other with basil sausage & smoked gouda.
12.17.11-bbq-053.jpg

The jalapeno & cheddar one had a poblano pepper paste added to it.
12.17.11-bbq-046.jpg

You may notice I did these two differently, as I wanted to see the difference in the end product. The jalapeno & cheddar on I left in the casing, and the cheese was solid layer. The basil & gouda one I took the sausage out of the casing and applied the cheese in chunks.
Now just roll up the tenderloin and tie it up with butchers twine.
12.17.11-bbq-054.jpg

What I can tell you, is that the one basil & gouda one was easier to roll, and therefore, easier to seal (keep the cheese from running out).

I used lump charcoal in an indirect configuration.
iphone%252520430.JPG

I grilled indirect at 350 degrees until the internal temperature was 165. Had it just been the tenderloin, I would have taken it off at 145, but with the sausage in there 165 is a better number.

12.17.11-bbq-062.jpg

Now all I had to do was let them rest for a few so the cheese would set a bit, then we can slice.

Jalapeno Sausage & Smoked Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
12.17.11-bbq-066.jpg

Basil Sausage & Smoked Gouda Cheese Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
12.17.11-bbq-072.jpg

One of these as TD Shot?
12.17.11-bbq-073.jpg

I plan to serve these with a Jezebel sauce, so named for the biblical namesake, because it is sweet :angel: AND naughty…err, I mean spicy. :icon_devil

• 3 tbsp. prepared horseradish, drained
    • 3 tbsp. dry mustard
    • 3 ⁄4 cup pineapple preserves (I used apricot/pineapple preserves)
    • 3 ⁄4 cup apple jelly
    • 1 tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
Combine horseradish and mustard in a medium bowl. Whisk in preserves, jelly, and ground pepper.

12.17.11-bbq-079.jpg

Loaded for the party
12.17.11-bbq-087.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Very well done John. Both looked very tasty and I'm sure the people at the party will love them. I know I would!!! :thumb:

Those tenderloin bites look excellent. For the Cheese throwdown, I would have like a higher cheese to meat ratio, but I wouldn't have any issue with eating them. :becky:

CD

Those tenderloin bites look excellent. For the Cheese throwdown, I would have like a higher cheese to meat ratio, but I wouldn't have any issue with eating them. :becky:

CD

Ratio?
I missed the farking special rule that stipulated a farking ratio?:doh:

You may plead your case at voting time Sir. :becky:

EDIT: On 2nd thoughts.....perhaps I should have made a cheese plate for a BBQ forum :tsk:

Last edited:
Ratio?
I missed the farking special rule that stipulated a farking ration?:doh:

Oh yea that's right, I didn't give a crap about no stinking ratios... :crazy:

You may plead your case at voting time Sir. :becky:

Don't get yer panties in a wad. It was just a comment -- you are up against a quesadilla that is overflowing with cheese, not to mention some very cheesy grilled cheese sandwiches.

I just would have liked to see more cheese. Sorry. :tape:

CD

Be my guest.
I can use all the help I can get. :icon_blush:

It's not easy to work with overexposed images, because the data isn't there, but this looks a little better.

I really would hit those stuffed tenderloin bites.

CD

Attachments

• 12.17.11-bbq 071.JPG
    12.17.11-bbq 071.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
It's not easy to work with overexposed images, because the data isn't there, but this looks a little better.

I really would hit those stuffed tenderloin bites.

CD

you should go out and get the red filter adjusted by a filter calibrator :heh:

Cheesy Stuffed Italian Meatloaf

Here is my submission for the Cheese Throwdown. I struggled to come up with what I wanted to cook this week for the throwdown and finally came up with this. I hadn't done a meatloaf in a while and this was a good opportunity to cook up something delicious that I could have as leftovers for the week.

Here are the basic ingredients.

DSCN1322.jpg

I started with a pound of ground beef and a pound of Italian venison sausage. With that I mixed in 2 eggs, some bread crumbs, milk, some oregano and a good helping of both my standard rub and some HDD. All mixed together in a bowl.

DSCN1323.jpg

Next I lined the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with the meat.

DSCN1324.jpg

Then I started building layers of meat and cheese. First came the prosciutto (in hind sight this was a waste as it got lost in the overall meal), followed by layers of mozzarella, pepperoni, provolone, and cheddar.

DSCN1325.jpg

DSCN1326.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

DSCN1328.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1330.jpg

Then I used the remaining meat to form the lid. I almost didn't have enough so it didn't seal up as well as I hoped but it still worked.

DSCN1330.jpg

Then a little dusting of oregano and red pepper flakes and onto the UDS.

DSCN1333.jpg

I cooked it precisely between 200* and 325* for some length of time around 2-3 hours. When the IT reached 130* I added some cheese to the top.

DSCN1334.jpg

Once done, off it came.

DSCN1336.jpg

DSCN1338.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

Sliced and oozing with yumminess.

DSCN1340.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

I took a couple slices and did my best to give myself a heart attack.

DSCN1346.jpg

Overall it was pretty good. As mentioned, the prosciutto was unnecessary as it was lost in the other flavors. Also, if I did this again I would wait to add the cheese to the top. It wasn't bad but that cheese was on there for a while and absorbed quite a bit of smoke. For anyone that has smoked cheese, you know how strong the smoke flavor is in cheese that is right off the cooker. That is why most people let the cheese mellow for a few days. It wasn't too overpowering but I definitely knew when I took a bite that had cheese from on top. The only other thing I would change would be to use the loaf pan to build and form the loaf but then I would chill the meat cake and remove it from the pan for cooking. As you can see from the photos, only the top was really exposed to the smoke and I would like to get more into the meat.

Back