View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I write software for a living. If the scoring software could accommodate a 6-10 digit number to identify a team/cook etc. would that make life easier for you?

I don't know that it matters what that field in the input is called as long as the output is there and it's a number that you are able to match with a name later. Is that correct based on what you are planning to do?
From what I heard, they are going to develop a spreadsheet to be used at the contest. The team name will be entered in on the spreadsheet. If it stops there, trouble will obviously follow as there is a hundred ways people spell barbecue. Not to mention all the other words that comprise a team name. I guarantee my team name will be spelled wrong even after I repeat each letter to the rep.

They mentioned adding a spot on the spreadsheet for the head cooks number. That should help with the match but a primary key ID number for the team would work much better.

As an example of how this could get screwed up, I was going through scores today while eating lunch. I saw the following two team names "Bu-Ba-Q" and "BubaQ". Is that the same team? What happens if BubaQ gets Bu-Ba-Q's scores because if the download finds a match it won't produce an error. Like I said above, I see a cluster fark in the making unless they make these fixes soon and it sounds like they are running out of time quickly.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote