• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Redhot and Deguerre's Revenge" Throwdown

Chuck_9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That is just incredible N8!
The post you did with you and your Dad is awesome.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all the fun Biggie...

We are going to miss you as the HMFMIC of the Throwdowns. You did a fantastic job and there was never a dull moment. I'm sure you were influencial in selecting the Dynamic Duo to take over the reigns, so congrats on another good call. :thumb:

I certainly couldn't miss preparing a going away meal for you, so here we go. I racked my brain for ideas of what you would like and figured you would like to try something new. At least something new to me... :heh:

A couple of the butchers at the local Piggly Wiggly have as of late been singing the praise of chuck eye steaks. Chuck eye? Really? According to them it is very tasty and tender. :rolleyes: I didn't pay them any attention until the other day when I noticed one of their names was Chris. :shocked: I figured this was a sign from above and my decision was made right then and there.

I picked up a package that contained this approximate one pounder:

edit_preview.php

Since you were the one to turn me on to a number of commercial rubs, I knew I had to use one of your recommendations. My first thought was 3EYZ, but since I had already used it on beef ribs earlier in the day, I went with this one (I know it was created for chicken, but made for pork, so give me farking break for using it on beef):

edit_preview.php

Applied liberally... Oh wait, poor choice of words. :doh: I put just the right amount on. You could say I stayed on the conservative side with the application so I wouldn't overpower it.

edit_preview.php

So now our chuck eye is resting peacefully after being conservatively rubbed with just the right amount of granulated goodness. How about a snack? Something fairly light, yet hearty and tasty enough to hold us over till dinner. After all, I'm not sure about you but I'm still in my sweats after last night's gluttony... :tsk: Mrs Czervik came to the rescue with this yummy platter of smoked salmon and cream cheese on crackers, pickled asspergrass, black olives and deviled eggs :)twisted:)...

edit_preview.php

While we were snacking, I fired up the grill and got it up to about 500 degrees. Here we have our CE after searing on one side for about three minutes and being flipped. Pay no attention to those pale, flavorless hunks of protein sitting next door. They are for the womenfolk in the house that don't like beef. :hand:

edit_preview.php

I took our CE up to about 125, pulled it and foiled it to rest for about 10 minutes. Here it is plated with some whole grain rice and the ever present broccoli we seem to have with every meal I post... :bored:

edit_preview.php

Obligatory fork shot... :thumb: It was actually quite a bit more med rare than the pic shows.

edit_preview.php

Now just in case you thought the meal was over, and you had any thoughts about getting away from the table without feeling like a stuffed toad, don't forget about dessert! :hungry:

Mrs Czervik's scratch made pumkin pie. :clap2:

edit_preview.php

I'm now officially so full I could pop. As Gore puts it, I no longer need legs because I can roll anywhere I need to go... :heh:

I hoped you enjoyed your final meal as much I enjoyed you heading up the Thrown Downs... Please do me the honor of picking the money shot. :becky:

I have my meal going that is hopefully fit for a bigabyte. It is my first time trying one of these so hopefully I have learned well from the brethren. It starts with something like this:

IMAG0783.jpg

OK, I would hit all of those.

I am a sucker for pumpkin pie though!:hungry:

You would eat the broccoli? That is a bit leftist, isn't it. I thought that President G. H. W. X. Y. Z. Bush made broccoli a forbidden food for right wingers. :tsk:

But, I hear Dick Cheney loves deviled eggs. :thumb:

CD

Well bigabyte, I just got back home in time for the weather to turn to chit. If it is decent tomorrow, I will cook up a "last meal" for you. If not, well, you will have to make that long last walk without any "dog food."

CD

You would eat the broccoli? That is a bit leftist, isn't it. I thought that President G. H. W. X. Y. Z. Bush made broccoli a forbidden food for right wingers. :tsk:

But, I hear Dick Cheney loves deviled eggs. :thumb:

CD
I like broccoli actually. Well, some times. And deviled eggs!:thumb:

However, I have to say this...just because I can't help it...and it goes against my normal tendencies...but...

Kansas Governor Sam Brownback Sucks!:becky::becky::becky:

I am sure I will soon be banned from posting here.:doh:

I like broccoli actually. Well, some times. And deviled eggs!:thumb:

However, I have to say this...just because I can't help it...and it goes against my normal tendencies...but...

Kansas Governor Sam Brownback Sucks!:becky::becky::becky:

I am sure I will soon be banned from posting here.:doh:

OK, now, where did I put that foil hat?:confused:

So, I have been wanting to cook a tri tip for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I could never find any in my area (aside from hitting the higher end butcher shops and paying extra). Well, last weekend I was out in Colby, KS hunting the elusive wild SPAM. We ended up with a mess of pheasants but could never get a clean shot at the ninja-like SPAM. However, do my delight, on a trip to the local Walmart for supplies (read: Beer) I cruised by the meat section and found they had tri tips. :clap2: I was stoked and grabbed a couple to bring home. Of course, upon my return I checked my local Wally World and they too now carry them. Oh well, no harm done.

So anyway, I decided to cook one up today for the current Throwdown. The theme is to cook for bigabyte as a thank you for all of his work in moderating the Throwdowns and wrangling all of us farkers that constantly cause problems and make things more confusing than the special rules ever could. Hopefully the following will appease Mr. Byte.

I started out with the smaller of the two roasts that I picked up. After all, it isn't the size of your meat that matters, or at least I am told.

IMAG0783.jpg

I hit it with a light dusting of Bovine Bold and then a liberal coating of The Rub Co's Santa Maria Rub (Thanks again to Marty Leach for hooking me up with that).

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0787.jpg

Then onto the UDS running somewhere between 200* and 300*. Most of the time it was around 225-250* I think. I wasn't really paying too much attention as my Jayhawks were actually giving some effort in the football game today against the mutigers.

IMAG0789.jpg

It cruised along for a while until it was approaching 120* IT.

IMAG0790.jpg

Since it was chilly and windy out I decided to just use my SJG to finish it off. So, I lit some coals and let it get nice and hot.

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0793.jpg

Then on when the tri tip for a quick sear. The IT had crept a bit over 120* but overall I think the temp in the meat was still fine.

IMAG0795.jpg

IMAG0797.jpg

A few minutes on each side gave it a good crust and got the IT up a medium rare range. I then pulled the roast and let it rest for a while while I whipped up some sides.

IMAG0799.jpg

IMAG0801.jpg

With some simple sides ready to go it was time to slice this beast up and see how I did.

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

Then it was plated up with some seasoned mashed potatoes and some cream corn.

DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

It was great! It didn't last long and I am looking forward to the Leftovers :thumb:.

IMAG0807.jpg

(Sorry for the blurry pics and iffy lighting. I definitely need a new camera.)

OK, now, where did I put that foil hat?:confused:

Forget the foil hat. Lock the doors, and load the guns (you right wingers all have guns). Glen Beck is rounding up a posse. You went off the reservation. You must be silenced. :shock:

CD :becky:

Forget the foil hat. Lock the doors, and load the guns (you right wingers all have guns). Glen Beck is rounding up a posse. You went off the reservation. You must be silenced. :shock:

CD :becky:

Come on over. I have about 4 days worth of ammo and another tri tip in the freezer.

Hey Guerry... In case Bigabyte doesn't do me the honor of picking my money shot, please use this one...

edit_preview.php

If he picks another one, please go with his choice. I have a feeling it isn't really going to matter in the voting thread... :doh:

How many zeros do I need to catch you? :heh:

Last edited:
I don't think I can ever recall Bigabyte saying he didn't like anything. In fact, going over a sampling of his critical comments in the past, some 16,000+ of them, I'd have to say he loves everything. Chris, is there anything you can think of that would guarantee a zero in this one?

Well, I'm not getting any ideas for Mr. Big's big meal, so I just cooked up some leftover turkey for him. I was at my aunt's house this weekend celebrating Thanksgiving and brought a few things home. From Bigabyte's previous posts, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes something like this himself. I began with a bacon weave. In my experience, that's always a good start:

IMG_3965.jpg

and then rolled out some sausage:

IMG_3966.jpg

I then checked out what we had in the fridge. There was this one little container:

IMG_3967.jpg

I added some turkey,

IMG_3968.jpg

then added stuffing,

IMG_3969.jpg

candied sweet potatoes? Why not?

IMG_3970.jpg

and I'm sure Chris likes cranberries,

IMG_3971.jpg

I rolled it all up and seasoned with Foil Hat Rub

IMG_3972.jpg

I figured it would be an insult to use anything else. I put this in the smoker.

IMG_3974.jpg

Notice, I also have dessert there. I was going to use one of these,

IMG_3906.jpg

But it appears my aunt didn't send any of that back home with us, and for some reason we didn't have a spare resting on the counter. :roll: I know Chris likes veggies and decided something different would be good. I grilled up some baby artichokes for him.

IMG_3978.jpg

I served this with a homemade Belgian ale

IMG_3993.jpg

I think he liked it. I didn't hear him say a single thing until it was all gone.

Back