View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #8904
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
Just throwing out a contrary opinion. Lump is fine to use adds nothing more /less then KF blue. But does it with less ash build up, more heat and less fuel usage. I swapped form KF blue to WG weekend warrior lump and had more stable temp can run hotter and no ash build up killing the heat on long burns. I do cook in a extreme environment so that may be the difference. I don't know, but try it for yourself makeup your own mind :)

pwa
I havent tried lump yet but I will on the next smoke to get a feel for it (and because i have 4 bags of royal oak). Using the trader joes hardwood, natural binding briquettes, I have it dialed in to +-5 degrees (usually a +-2 degree) variation with one 1" hole half blocked with a flat magnet and fine tuning with the ball valve. I was going to ask for a auber industries temp controller for Christmas, but after using the drum a few times I cant justify it.
I fired it up for chickens yesterday and reaching temp is not an issue. I brought it up to 410 just to see if it could and I have no doubts that it could get hotter than that to make some pizzas. This thing is great and the only complaint is that the center of the grate is substantially warmer than the edges.
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote