BBQ Brethren "Redhot and Deguerre's Revenge" Throwdown

For this very special throwdown I decided to head down to my super secret beer cave to pull out my one and only Special Reserve IPA.

Biglabel.jpg

I decided that Mr. Big might be in the mood for some rib tips. It also gave me a chance to try some more Oakridge rub.

First the egg needs a good dusting.

Big2.JPG

Rubbed up some rib tips with Oakridge Competition Rub

Big1.JPG

Then to the egg for a Bigabyte grill shot.

Big3.JPG

Out of the egg for some Oakridge Secret Weapon. I found I could have just eaten this stuff like candy.

Big 4.JPG

While I do care deeply for Bigabyte I could not get myself to make Spam. So I made sure to use plenty of foil.

Big 5.JPG

Cut down to Bigabyte bites and sauced with Blues Hog Original.

Big 6.JPG

I waited as long as I could for Chris to show up but at some point had to find a stand in. The plate was empty and the beer was gone so I think he liked it.

Big 7.JPG
Big 8.JPG

Thanks again for all the great throwdowns.

Ric

Is that cole slaw and mac-n-cheese with the rib tips? Looks like some serious comfort food. And, since the beer is home-brewed, if probably doesn't have any gubment mandated thought inducing drugs in it.

CD :becky:

Is that cole slaw and mac-n-cheese with the rib tips? Looks like some serious comfort food. And, since the beer is home-brewed, if probably doesn't have any gubment mandated thought inducing drugs in it.

CD :becky:

Yes I decided that a completely in focus picture would be inappropriate for this throwdown. It is indeed cole slaw and mac n-cheese. And no gubment mandated anything here.

This is how it went down

As I mentioned earlier, I am have a very special guest coming over for dinner.

IMG_0923.jpg

Due to the current conspiracy theory, I may have to serve this meal at any time, anywhere, therefore I figured I would cover both land and water.

Surf & Turf

Not just any surf & turf will do though, no not for this guest.
This surf & turf us just a little different, kind of like there may be something just a little off.

I happen to remember a few times my guest mentioned that Alton Brown was his favorite TV chef.

So I decided to use this recipe:
Grilled Salmon Steaks

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Ingredients

• 2 salmon steaks 1-inch thick
  • 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
  • 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed
  • 1 teaspoon dry green peppercorns
  • Sea salt or kosher salt
  • Canola or olive oil to coat steaks

and since my guest is coming to my house, I am going to make one of my favorites.

Lamp Chops

Ingredients

• 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • Coarse sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 lamb chops, about 1 inch thick

So gathered the necessary ingredients:
PB190271.JPG

First I take the rosemary & thyme and chop it up, add the garlic and olive oil to it and incorporate in a mini food processor.

I take this paste and apply to both sides of chops

PB190290.JPG

Take the whole coriander, cumin and fennel seeds and put on foil (see there IS a need for the foil) and toss on hot part of grill, shaking like popcorn until the aroma is amazing, then remove.

TD%252520004.jpg

I took the salmon steaks and removed the skin. Turning the side inward that had the skin, I roll into a pinwheel, and pin it together.

Rub olive oil on skin, and then take the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds you toasted and ground, and apply to the salmon.

PB190291.JPG

We now have the surf & turf...
PB190294.JPG

Sear them on hot side of grill on both sides

TD%252520006.jpg

Flip them and add some slices basil garlic Italian bread.

PB190001.JPG

I was going to serve a vegetable, maybe asparagus spears.....but I recalled that this is a special guest...

IMG_0923.jpg

Slice into strips

PB190285.JPG

Coat in honey and a ghost pepper infused salt mixture, and toss on grill.

PB190289.JPG

Plate with a little Pork Barrel BBQ Sauce (have to honor the right wing)
justbottle.png

and a little Cabernet

PB190006.JPG

PB190007.JPG

and the money shot....Please choose from the next two...

PB190007.JPG

PB190008.JPG

We have entries. Good ones, too. Far better than bigabyte deserves. It is officially a throwdown. :thumb:

CD

Holy Fark!:shock: I'm drooling here!:hungry:

Why didn't anyone tell me when and where I was supposed to show up?:doh::confused: I would have loved those Rib Tips, and I am a big fan of both Mac and Cheese and Coleslaw as sides. I also love a good IPA!:becky: I can't make them look as good here when i cook them, so i would have really enjoyed trying those.:hungry:

But I didn't miss just thatone...look at that next entry!:hungry: Salmon AND Lamb.....at the SAME TIME?:shock: I'm in heaven!:love: I am a big asparagus fan, I probably would have just made that without even thinking about it, but your sides look great and I would definitely hit that!:thumb: The wine pairing is perfect!:nod: Again, I can't make food that looks that good...but I would sure like to eat it!:hungry:

so, if you are invited to my house for dinner, this is what you you'll get.

and biggie, for his stepping down party, is invited. :becky:

guerry, take notes. :heh:

started off with a local boneless ribeye. look at the color and marbling!

RIBEYE1.jpg

i coated it in kosher salt and let sit in the fridge for 1/2 hour. washed it all off and sprinkled with fresh cracked pepper.

ribeye2.JPG

fired up the kettle to "nuclear". and on it went. how would you like your steak, sir? black and blue, please, thank you.

RIBEYE3.jpg

RIBEYE4.jpg

here's how it looked after about 2 minutes per side. shhhhh, she's resting.

RIBEYE5.jpg

i plated with some risotto and fresh bread. crumbled some gorgonzola on top.

(use this pic for entry)

RIBEYE6.jpg

and....the money shot!

RIBEYE7.jpg

thank you, and come again.

Beautiful steak boogiesnap! Just beautiful! Yep, Guerry's fine, just vegging after cleaning house all weekend....not to mention being my shoulder while my mom's in the hospital.

i'm not sure if this is even "legal" but here goes....

as this is a very special occasion, celebrating both biggie's work on the throwdowns and our new moderator team, i will assume, after dinner, we would have stayed up quite late, enjoying some bee-az and laughs. most likely, if you're at my house for dinner, driving home may be, um, difficult. so on the pull-out ya go. being a late night, figured we'd wake up late and need some lunch. i thought i'd prepare something deguerre and redhot would enjoy also.
here's what i prepared. sorry for the bad pics...i was "pretending" to be hung over. :becky:

in a cast iron skillet, i melted some butter.

STEAKANDCHEESE1.jpg

i then opened my fedex package and sprinkled it VERY liberally on some shaved steak. turned to coat in the butter and HDD.

STEAKANDCHEESE2.JPG

STEAKANDCHEESE3.JPG

onto a blazing hot grill to cook and get some hickory smoke flavor. this BTW was an excellent idea. the oakridge HDD and hickory meld together beautifully. the sweet smoke REALLY brought out all the flavors in this rub.

STEAKANDCHEESE4.jpg

now we need cheese. american, please.

steakandcheese5.jpg

and the habenero death dust hickory smoked steak and cheese is made!
enjoy lunch. :thumb:

if allowed, this is an entry pic.

STEAKANDCHEESE6.JPG

Back