BBQ Brethren "As Seen on TV" Throwdown!

I am also confused. Seems if it is "As seen on TV" it should at least be somewhat related to TV.

At least one entry went with the spirit of the title. Who knows maybe that will be a positive influence in my favor come voting time.
Or not.

Remember some of us don't have TV...:icon_blush:

(the consequences of being a cable technician for too many years. Do trade mechanics like to work on cars for fun?)

I have my new entry idea. It looks like the weather will be good on Friday for cooking outside. :heh:

CD

Well, my photoshoot got moved to tomorrow, so I may be cooking today. I'm sure you all wanted to know that. :becky:

CD

That was...uh...awfully painful to watch. :shocked:

You do realize that Alice eventually joined the convent and became a Nun, right?

Okay, I was going to do a ribeye steak a la Alton Brown steak episode, and a potato bomb, a la the BBQ Pit Boys, but I was upstaged on that meal, so I went looking, and stumbled upon this little gem, which seemed so timely, given recent Q-Talk threads.

Here is the inspiration...

Bacon Sweet Cornbread Recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube

I did the same thing the guy in the video did, except I used Steen's instead of Molasses. So, on to the pr0n.

First, the bacon getting tasty. I made two batches.

picture.php

Then after taking the bacon out, and adding the butter to the bacon grease, in goes the batter. Then, I stirred in my crumbled bacon, and back to the kettle it went...

picture.php

My trusty Weber redhead stayed at 350 the whole cook, witch took about 35 minutes. Then off it came to cool...

picture.php

After cooling enough to cut out this wedge, I took this last shot, and then ate the wedge...

picture.php

As it cooled, it had an unexpected "nutty" aroma to it. My first bite was not what I expected, either. It was good, but not what I expected. But, never having eaten anything quite like this, all I had was my imagination.

I ate the whole wedge, and even tried some with some maple syrup. It is definitely breakfast food, IMO. It would be easy to do camping in a dutch oven. It would be a good, filling camp breakfast.

It is rich. One wedge, and I was stuffed. It is NOT diet food. If I make it again, I need to do it for several people. I don't know how I am going to eat this whole farking thing -- without gaining ten pounds. I wish you guys were here to eat some.

So, here you have it, Bacon Sweet Cornbread. :bow:

Thanks for looking.

CD

Great job, CD! :clap2:

Yours looks much better than the one in the video. Every time I see one of their videos, I can't help but crack up. :laugh:

Very nice CD :hungry:
My evil plan is working to perfection, I now have a new breakfast dish to try on my next camping trip :thumb:......

Great job, CD! :clap2:

Yours looks much better than the one in the video. Every time I see one of their videos, I can't help but crack up. :laugh:

Yeah, I love their videos, especially the ones with multiple people -- and lots of beers and bottles stuck in the snow. They get a lot of criticism for how they do things, but they're having fun, and they're fun to watch.

CD

I could be in Dallas tomorrow...

Looks awesome! May have to try this sometime with a fatty.

Fark! Kinda changes the debate, Don't it?:becky:

Nice job CD... I'd like a piece right now for breakfast! :becky:

Wow CD, I have to make that now! Love the video and I think I need a knife like that as well!

When I read this,

Normal TD rules apply (like you need me to say that).
Link to video or web page with your inspiration.
Special rules will be made up as we go.

Any entry meeting the above requirements which may be DQ'd from a made up special rule may receive a DQ exemption if and only if said entry was submitted on any day of the week that ends with the letter Y.

Sincerely,
Mr. WW4BBQ

I thought, "Woo hoo!" Thank you WW4BBQ!

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, well, almost none in fact, so it's a bit hard for me to get any inspiration from that direction; however, I did notice a few posts that suggested to me that McRib was back and I seem to remember that McDonald's does advertise on TV (Thanks, Jonny Rotisserie!). I did a quick YouTube search and found that they actually do have McRib commercials and I assume they play these on TV. Here's one that came right up:

McDonalds McRib Commercial - Honeymoon (extended version) - YouTube

Now, it's been over a year since I made a decent size McRib (a la Grand Poobah), so I figure the statute of limitations probably has expired and I can make another one. It's been a long while since I've had a real McRib, so I'll try to copy it as best I can. First of all, McDonald's uses a high-quality rub on their baby back ribs (spares don't work too well for this, they're just not meaty enough).

IMG_3871.jpg

McDonald's is fast food, so they cook at a high heat, pushing 300*, and they do foil. Here are the ribs after 2 1/2 hours, just before foiling:

IMG_3874.jpg

After foiling, they sauce their ribs. I normally skip this step, but I'm trying to copy them. I tried to use as generic a sauce as I could think of. I mixed these two (you can also see I diced some onions in the pic):

IMG_3875.jpg

After nearly 2 hours in the foil, McDonald's applies sauce and puts them directly on the grill for another half hour or so:

IMG_3877.jpg

When finished, the bones are removed:

IMG_3878.jpg

and the toppings are added. I recall that McDonald's adds diced onions and pickles:

IMG_3879.jpg

They are placed in a fresh-baked bun and served up:

IMG_3892.jpg

I think you'll see that this is virtually indistinguishable from what you'd get at McDonald's. :thumb:

Back