BBQ Brethren "It Came from the Sea" Throwdown!

Great job Al. Too bad this isn't an active throwdown and this entry will not count. Such a shame too. :tsk:

whatchu-talkin-bout-willis1.jpg

What you talkin bout colonel...? :boxing:

Unfortunately this TD is still

"COMING FRIDAY 10/28 -> BBQ Brethren "It Came from the Sea" Throwdown!"

and not IN PROGRESS

Hmmm, if this is one of those "special rule" things again...and Al is DQ'ed for an alleged early entry...I may have a shot at a vote! :becky:

we got our first snow of the year and we lucked out as we only got a dusting compared to the foot
or more others got so we headed to the woods
picture.php

it was a little slick in spots
picture.php

but we made it and got set up
picture.php

got the vittles ready "raw" :biggrin1:
picture.php

grilled em up :icon_smile_tongue:
picture.php

assembly
picture.php

the finished product "plated" :laugh: smoked clams and oysters
picture.php

I've been wanting to enter a throwdown and didn't plan on entering this one but once I saw the pics
I realized i met most of the criteria :wave:

OK, Here's the Snapper!!!

That's all I got so far. Grilling this today....

DSC_0048.jpg

Cheers!

Bill
Ya gotta cook it Bill, that is one of the rules. Wait, no, it just has to be prepared on the grill. Is there a rule it has to be cooked?

picture.php

I bet that tasted GREAT! Especially outdoors on a chilly morning with fresh snow and cold beer. Good job! :thumb:

picture.php

OK, that was funny right there. I don't care WHO ya are. That was funny.

Not to mention inventive.:becky:

APB out for SmokinAussie...

Has anyone seen Bill since this pic was taken... :confused:

DSC_0048.jpg

Hopefully Mrs. Bill wasn't mad when she saw him with this snapper... :shock:

My neighbour went fishing yesterday and brought back a few fish... He gave me a 6lb Snapper! Looks like I've got something for the TD after all!

Was that a typo? Six pounds? Snapper?

I love red snapper, and off the Texas coast, the snapper we caught started at 20 pounds and went up from there.

Maybe you meant to say he gave you a six pound filet off of a snapper.

Are snapper really that small downunder? This is what gulf snapper looks like...

picture.php

CD

Ladies and gentlemen children of all sizes.

I decided to enter. Even though my wife hates seafood I had to go it alone.
2011-10-31193247.jpg

I started with all of this. Honey, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, sliced pineapple, green, orange, red peppers, jalapeno pepper, EVOO, fresh cilantro and some shrimp not pictured that was on the other counter.

2011-10-31200134.jpg

Red and orange pepers diced, and the green pepper cut into chunks along with red onion into chunks, ready to be skewered!

2011-10-31202352.jpg

Skewers put together ready for the grill, brushed with some EVOO.

2011-10-31202408.jpg

Pineapple glaze sauce being made. Cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, honey, finely diced jalapeno, pineapple juice and soy sauce.

2011-10-31205234.jpg

Skewers on the grill, periodically brushed with some of the pineapple glaze.

2011-10-31210231.jpg

And the final product! on a bed of rice with orange and red pepper and a little extra sauce drizzled about on top of what was glazed on on the grill.

P.S.
I hate onions. These came out so good I devoured every bit of onion to be seen.

Last edited:
Was that a typo? Six pounds? Snapper?

I love red snapper, and off the Texas coast, the snapper we caught started at 20 pounds and went up from there.

Maybe you meant to say he gave you a six pound filet off of a snapper.

Are snapper really that small downunder? This is what gulf snapper looks like...

picture.php

CD

Well there are quite a few different species of Snapper CD... Mind you, this one you have shown here is a very fine specimen... even if the Snapper this Bastard caught is nearly as fat as he is!!!!:heh:

The one I did is about medium size for this particular species of Snapper. I have not really heard of them being more than 20lb...

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Grilled Whole Snapper

Ok... With that out of the road... here is my entry.

I'm afraid my Snapper is not as big as CD's pic there... but you'd need a farkin' Weber Ranch Grill to cook that monster!:wink:

So anyway, my humble offering starts with .... a picture of the fish... again!
DSC_0048.jpg

I assembed some ingredients for an overnight marinade..
DSC_0040.jpg

and blended them all up....
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Made some scores in the Snapper...
DSC_0055.jpg

Rubbed it in gooood!
DSC_0059.jpg

and stuffed the cavity with a few more ingredients....
DSC_0058.jpg

and marinaded this overnight:thumb:

The next day, we prepared a simple grill with lump charcoal and put the fish on for slow grilling. Andy did one covered in foil, and mine was in a grill holder
DSC_0095.jpg

Some more pics...
DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

Done. The tail was too big for the plate...
DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

And dressed with some Coriander and Vietnamese Mint... (TD Pic Please!)
DSC_0103.jpg

Inside, in Andy's house.. I took a few pics of some of his little fishies in his fishtank!
DSC_0109.jpg

And then we served up. Lunch was good. Lots of visitors. There was also Chicken, and a Fish Curry, Dahl and Rice etc... an excellent feed was had by all!

DSC_0127.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back