View Single Post
Unread 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #44
Ribmeister
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

As I say in the intro of my article, I get many many panicky emails and posts to my site from newbies whose meat is just not getting done and their guests and spouses (spice?) are getting restless. Sterling Ball is quoted saying the same thing. Knowing the stall is out there, and why it behaves the way it does, and how to beat it, might help some people cook better and serve dinner on time.

I don't compete. Competitors have a time clock and judge expectations to meet or they have wasted a lot of money. Knowing about the stall might help them cook better and get it in on time.

I often serve dinner to friends and family. If dinner is at 6, and guests arrive for drinks at 5, and my wife is baking mac and cheese, I like to serve dinner on time. I cannot disrespect people and say "the pork is not done yet, please wait". I find it very helpful to have a rough idea when I buy a hunk o meat as to how long it will take. So I use clocks and scales and thermometers and knowledge of what is happening to the meat to get dinner in on time. I know clocks and scales and thermometers are not classic traditional barbecue (whatever that is), but neither is the steel tube I often cook in.

You are probably a better cook than me (just look at your name), and you may have complete mastery of the craft. I do not. I use all the help I can get including science.

Besides, I am just curious about everything.
Ribmeister is offline   Reply With Quote