View Single Post
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #24
Guamaque
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Guamaque, that is why my tuning plates in my cooker are 3/8" thick cold rolled plate. Same reason why I "pre-heat" my cooker for a good 2 hours before I put the meat on. Once all that steel is equalized, it chugs along at a much more even and stable temp. I don't have any scientific data to back up my claim though, just years of cooking experience with my pit.
Carolina Q,

You are right on. You added thermal mass to your pit. Pre heating will eliminate the pause we speak of. The downside of this is that it is wasteful and not efficient to heat your pit / cooker to 400 degrees for 3 hours with nothing in them just so you don't get a dip or pause. The best idea is to work with the pause, as it is predicted and needed.
However, our published guest has made a " factual statement" as to the cause of the pause based on false science. This theory could have been made by a hobbyist with just a theory, but not a theory based on physics. The explanation for the pause is wrong. The site should not have published his theory as science, but just as an opinion as we all have them. Once you speak science, you need facts. And the data is clearly non scientific.
The thermal mass conservation theory is well established.

Q.
Guamaque is offline   Reply With Quote