View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Ron_L

There is a whole bunch of information on turkeys here. We get overloaded with turkey posts every fall!

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this forum. Search for turkey, but make sure that you have time available to read the results :)

I use a variation of the Mad Max turkey method from the Naked Whiz web site. I brine the bird overnight in Smokin Okie's Holiday Turkey Brine two days ahead, and then give it a rest out of the brine overnight before cooking. I make a compound butter with butter and fresh herbs and rub that all over the turkey, inside and out. Then I stuff the cavity with fresh herbs and aromatic fruits and veggies like oranges, apples, carrots, onions and celery. Then I put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan that fits in my Big Green Egg and I put the same herb, fruits and veggies in the bottom of the pan and add fresh turkey stock made from the necks and giblets. Then it goes into my Egg at 325 (I'm not a fan of turkey at normal smoking temps. The skin is too rubbery) for around 20 minutes per pound or until 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. I let it rest under a foil tent for 15 minutes and carve.

Oh! One good tip from Mad Max... Take the bird out of the fridge about an hour before cooking and while it is coming up to room temp put a gallon zip bag of ice on the breasts to keep them colder. That way the breast and thigh are done at pretty close to the same time.

The Naked Fatty!

Coming soon! Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->