1. It will run hot in the beginning.
2. It was built for charcoal but lump will work.
3. Season it well with a few light cooks (wings, fatty, etc) or dry runs (no food)
4. Consider a BBQ Guru. It may be somewhat costly but makes overnight cooks a breeze.
5. Get the eyelets from bbqguru.com. They are very convenient.
6. Always keep the top vent wide open.
7. Use water in the pan for low and slow (my opinion, others will differ)
8. Use no water but foil wrap for hot and fast.
9. Consider metal tape around the door. You won't need to open it during cooking anyway and this will seal any leaks.
10. Enjoy it. It is a great smoker.
Use the minion method for any cooks over 4 hours. It should hold temps well with this method for at least 9 hours. Others have reported as much as 13 or so on the 22.5 and longer on the 18.
2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired