Originally Posted by Mr. Bo
I finally wrapped up my first UDS build yesterday and threw on a couple of fattys and bacon Spams for the inaugural cook.
The old Brinkman never gets used any more so I pulled the internal rack holders and handles to install on the UDS.
The lid cutout was trimmed and a lip hammered around it to serve as the ash catcher beneath the fire basket.
The only welding I did on this one is the pipe in the lid. Everything else was done without a cutting torch or welder.
I did have trouble getting it up to temp but I think it is lack of a sufficient exhaust vent. The motorcycle exhaust pipe is not very big and I had to keep all three caps off and the ball valve wide open to even get close. 200 is the best I ever got out of the UDS so the plan is to drill another hole in the lid and see what that does. Could always put another couple of chrome exhaust pipes on it. My kids think it looks cool.
It's gonna take a min of 2" of exhaust to make your drum heat adjustable.