View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
HarleyGirl14226
Full Fledged Farker

WTG Stacks!

This was our Rookie year as well and I can't believe all of the lessons we learned the hard way. We did 6 KCBS contests - 4 of which had the added NEBS contest added to the weekend. It's hard to believe it's over already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks View Post
6. Remember to eat. I was so wrapped up in getting stuff packed, loaded, set up, etc on my first comp it never occured to me to plan on bringing some food. Beer yes, food no."
Don't forget to drink - and I don't mean beer and Gentleman's Jack (although that does seem to help). In our first comp. this year I found myself getting dehydrated because we were just to busy to bother with drinking water. Now we make sure to bring a case of water to every comp. and remind each other to drink it.

Quote:
13. You can never have enough coolers."
Ditto. We bought a second one after our 1st comp. - so now we have two of the GIANT coolers, plus two smaller ones we use for parsley and Misc.

Quote:
14. Don't wait til the morning of the comp to buy parsley. Two days before my first comp I went to my local grocer to get parsley. There was a ton of beautiful bunches so I decided to wait until the night before to come back and purchase. Who knew parsley was so popular? The morning of, I had to go to 4 different stores to get what I needed.
We found Restaurant Depot to have nicer parsley than our local grocery store - and way cheaper - by about half the cost.

We also found that having a standard packing list for everything that didn't stay on the trailer was helpful when packing... We also put together a detailed time schedule that we reviewed before we packed to make sure we never forgot to prep something, and that everything was prepped and put on the cookers on time. This saved us a few times...

KCBS / NEBS / CBJ
MAK 2 Star General / Yoder YS640
2 - WSM's 22 1/2 / 3 - Weber kettle's
Backwoods Fatboy
PINK Thermapen
HarleyGirl14226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->