BBQ Brethren "Cook Like a Bigabyte" Throwdown

OK, I think we can submit this as a Team Sicily entry, since this may qualify as a Brethren Bash, although I really have no idea because the definition of "bash" is a little murky. In any case, I met Phubar and Padawan in Taormina. I'm assuming if Bigabyte were in Sicily, he also would visit a few tourist sites. He might visit the Greek-turned-Roman theatre in Taormina:

IMG_7047.jpg

and see the Norman castle

IMG_7038.jpg

I can imagine him having a little dessert, as I know he likes coffee:

IMG_7056.jpg

and I expect he would hang out at the hotel pool as his kids would want to go swimming:

IMG_7079.jpg

and he would meander through town:

IMG_7082.jpg

He would then visit Siracusa

IMG_7070.jpg

and the ancient Greek theatre located there:

IMG_7059.jpg

and especially he would have visited the site of the ancient BBQs where they roasted over 500 steers at a time:

IMG_7058.jpg

In the evening he would head to the beach, where everyone would help put together a Throwdown entry. Padawan would prepare the appetizers, bread with pistachio spread

IMG_7087-1.jpg

and a lovely salad.

IMG_7092.jpg

Phubar would be at the smoker, making a pasta casserole in the style of Bigabyte. He would begin with some chopped bacon:

IMG_7083.jpg

He would add cream, cheese, wine, spices, and later some pasta:

IMG_7085.jpg

He would then work on the sausage and porkchops,

IMG_7097.jpg

taking great care in examining the seasonings,

IMG_7090.jpg

we would get very hungry while things smoked:

IMG_7098.jpg

and then Gore would do what he is qualified to do, ... drink and eat,

IMG_7101.jpg

Mmmmmmm, superb!

IMG_7109.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get my head around roasting 500 Steers at a time.:shock:

That sound so "Biga" to me.:heh: Wonder if foil was involved in that cook.

What's with Phu flashing the leg shot? I don't recall there being extra points for skin shots...

It was pretty dark on the beach and I didn't notice until I saw that shot this morning. I was wondering if he was flirting with me all night and I just didn't clue in. :shocked:

I have to disagree that Bigabyte would do all of that. He'd still be on the roof looking down at the pool, waiting for the girl in the black bikini to turn over :heh:

We were on the top floor for a group photo and were going to try pouring drops of cold water on her back. Some of us started measuring wind velocities and others were calculating trajectories and evaporation rates. By the time we figured out where to release the water droplets, a few hours had passed and she was gone. :doh:

I'm still trying to get my head around roasting 500 Steers at a time.:shock:

That sound so "Biga" to me.:heh: Wonder if foil was involved in that cook.

Thought to be the largest BBQ in the ancient world ... a spring, "Ides of March" sacrifice. Our guide didn't mention anything about foil and I forgot to ask. :doh:

IMG_7109.jpg

What's with Phu flashing the leg shot? I don't recall there being extra points for skin shots...

The pheast looks very tasty BTW... :thumb:

Kind of rude the way he has his back turned on Padawan, too. :tsk:

That should be a five point deduction, IMO. :becky:

CD

I just ate the last serving of my SPAM and eggplant stroganoff casserole. It was a 9 X 13 pan, and I ate it all.

CD :cool:

Here we go...........

For this throwdown entry, I'm ignoring the additional rules and I'm going for the full frontal assault on the castle. There will be no eggplant, there will be no spam and this is posted on the weekend, so I know I'm already out of the running. But regardless, here is my entry.

Now this journey began yesterday, with the cooking of some chicken wings during the football game last night. I did not take any pictures of the wings on the grill, but I have pics of the wings later in this post. I also made homemade potato salad this morning. It was red potatoes, bacon, bacon grease, grilled onions in butter and T Marzetti Slaw Dressing. My daughter just loves the stuff. They too will make an appearance later.

I tried to figure out what Bigabyte would cook and since I had it in my head that he was from St. Louis, I decided on pork steak. Now upon further review, I would notice that he is from Overland Park, but it's the thought that counts.

Here is 3 pork steaks, each lightly seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper and chili powder. I also started a chuck roast (which will finish in the oven). All of the meat was cooked on my mini Weber Ranch Kettle. :cool:

porksteak10-2-11.jpg

porksteakchuckroast10-2-11.jpg

You should notice that all of meat is on the right side of the grill. I know how Bigabyte doesn't like anything on the left. :tape:

Once the chuck roast was seared on all sides, it was moved to some foil with salsa and minced garlic and into the oven. This will be for pot roast my wife likes.

With the extra space left my removing the chuck roast, I put on some dogs.

porksteakdog10-2-11.jpg

As the pork steaks and dogs were cooking, it allowed me to do one of my other favorite hobbies, hunting. I love to hunt, especially this time of year. One of my favorites is squirrel hunting. Now in Iowa, we have the typical speceis of squirrel, but we also have some rare varieties. Apparently, in the early 90's some missionaries visiting Iowa from central Africa brought over some endangered African House Squirrels as gifts for the congregations they were visiting. Unfortunately, during a hail storm, the cages of the animals were rendered useless and they all escaped into the wild. Today was my lucky day, I found one in it's natural habitat. I will spare you the details, but I think you know what happened. Here is a photo of the wild creature (see below).

africanhousesquirrel.jpg

Now, back to the cook.

The dogs were coming along nicely, until one of them decided to make a break for it. Here is what they looked like before that fateful moment.

moredogs10-2-11.jpg

moredogs210-2-11.jpg

Finally, after all of that work it was time to eat. My son had some of the leftover wings, my wife and daughter had some of the pork steak and I finished off the remaining wings and a dog. Everyone but my son had some potato salad. Here is a photo of my lunch plate (before seconds when I had the dog.). The wings had JOS Meat Hickory rub, Cookies Wings and Things and Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili sauce.

lunch10-2-11.jpg

wingcloseup10-2-11.jpg

I'd say use the last one for my entry.

I ask for your vote. I can't deliver anything I promise, but I am capable of promising you everything. I am Water Tower BBQ and I approved this message. And no, I'm not wearing my tin foil hat today, it's nice outside. :thumb:

Bravo! :clap2:

Very well done Water Tower BBQ... A post very worthy of Bigabyte anyday of the week. The words behind the scene are very fitting and the meal and pics are very well thought out. :becky:

Take a bow... :thumb:

Great throwdown but, i don't think i can cook that good. Chris can get with the program.

Wow Gore, that looks good, and it is quite possible I would have waited to see the other side of the undone bikini top!:heh:

It looks like you missed a lot of potential FOIL POINTS however. You only picked up 9 FOIL POINTS. I saw foil in some of the pics, but not in the final shot...such wasted potential...

Watertowerbbq, yours also looks really good. I like how you arrange your meats on the grill. However, you also seem to be missing a great many FOIL POINTS. I like your style of not letting the points deductions get in the way however. This seems to be how I approach cooking at competitions, with little regard to the points received!:becky: Your dish has 6 FOIL POINTS.:thumb:

Bigabyte said that his entries don't require a lot of time or effort, so I'm going to run with that. Gore got back from Italy last night. He's been traveling the last 5 weeks to various places. Today, I begin a two-week trip to Italy :doh:. Since we so rarely see each other, perhaps this can qualify as a Brethren Bash as well and we can submit this as Team e-gore. This is also a Mad Scientific Experiment to assess a new marinade. Our old standard consists of ground black pepper, ginger, mustard powder, soy sauce, red wine and oil. However, one of our children, who previously loved it, has recently decided she no longer does -- go figure :tsk:. We decided to do a taste comparison. We marinaded some cubed sirloin flap meat in our old reliable

IMG_3339.jpg

and in a generic Asian-style marinade, Hoisin, soya sauce, ginger, and 5 spice powder.

IMG_3338.jpg

We tossed the skewers on the grill for about 6 minutes, flipping once. Bigabyte loves grill shots, so use this pic:

IMG_3340.jpg

We removed and served them hot.

IMG_3345.jpg

You can see the comparison of the two in looks:

IMG_3348.jpg

While the Asian style (foreground) looks nicer, the old reliable won the taste contest three to one.

IMG_3352.jpg

Ciao and thanks for looking!

Back