View Single Post
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default RE: Question Regarding Regional Sauces at Competitions

Quigley is SO right. Forget regional preferences in KCBS events. The judges are from ALL over and you cannot outguess them. Cook the rules - cook for tenderness and taste. The sauce will make a difference but not like you think it would/should. For example: in NC you won't see KCBS winners doing vinegar sauce for turn-in even though you may be in a vinegar based sauce preference area. All the judges may be from Mephis, Ohio, Maryland, and Alabama. Learn to cook your flavors and tweak from there - don't even try to chase regional differences.

Middle of the road, sweet with a touch of heat, will get you over a lot more than a truly distinct flavor - except for the one time you get an all California judge table and a sauce with ginger-soy fused with vanilla and truffle oil RULES! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote