View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #8607
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Here is what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Hi guys.. just browsing and saw some interesting maybe unanswered questions.

hankll - burn it out! especially the one that had antifreeze. Clean it with something like dish soap at least, or something like alcohol-based cleaner.

I did go ahead and burned it out, mainly because I wanted the exterior paint removed, as well as to remove any of the residue of the chemical. Incidentally, this was oak and bark from my firewood. It burned for about 5 hours. and cooled completely while I was at work. My guess - yea, it is a very hot temp!

hankll & Drumbum77 - Then BURN it out at a high temp, close lid, should do like a good 400 degrees for an hour at least? Or just let it finish the fuel. (any kind of wood helps create lots of heat. Be careful! not too much!)

Then using my buffer with a wire brush normally used on a bench grinder, I scrubbed it out, which removed any of the soot from the fire and any remaining paint. Then I rinsed it out and let it dry. I didn't think to oil it but did do a smoke of some ribs for a trial run. Unfortunately, I failed to remember to take pictures of the grub!

My friend did this with his drum using olive oil and it came it amazing. Looks as if he carmalized it inside.

Well, its all done now and sitting pretty beside my deck for instant use..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That is hot! (Medium) (2).JPG (65.3 KB, 775 views)
File Type: jpg laid over to heat better (Medium).JPG (62.6 KB, 772 views)
File Type: jpg buffer wheel brush a.jpg (69.6 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg buffer wheel brush.jpg (74.1 KB, 770 views)
File Type: jpg smoker after first burn 005.jpg (145.7 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg smoker after first burn 001.jpg (47.2 KB, 771 views)

Last edited by hankll; 09-08-2011 at 12:51 PM..
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote