Thread: F.a.q.
View Single Post
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Q: Why won't Stoke Master run in the background for more than 10 minutes?

A: This is how Apple has designed iOS 4. There are only 3 types of apps that can run in the background with no restrictions. From the Apple Developer's Guide:
  • audio. The application plays audible content to the user while in the background. (This includes streaming audio or video content using AirPlay.)
  • location. The application keeps users informed of their location, even while running in the background.
  • voip. The application provides the ability for the user to make phone calls using an Internet connection
All other apps must request time to avoid being suspended. Stoke Master does not conform to any of these three types of apps so when it gets moved into the background, I have to request that my app be allowed to continue to run. I can make this request 1 time when the app is moved to the background and iOS will give me up to 10 minutes of running time. When there is 2 minutes or less of running time, I alert you that the app will be going to sleep unless you bring it to the forground. During the time iOS gives me, your Stoker will continue to be monitored. When you get the alert that time is running out, you can bring Stoke Master to the foreground, let it run for a minute or so and then go back to any other app and Stoke Master will get up to 10 more minutes of run time in the background.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote