Unread 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #8498
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Rondini... what is your exhaust looking like? Do you have a like a chimney pipe? or do you have some holes drilled in the lid? The good temp control depends on the right air flow. My UDS has three 3/4 inlets and I actually used to have 1 ball valve but I replaced that with 3 magnets so I can have all vents open like half way to let coals burn from all sides more. Temp control is good in mine but it depends on how I exhaust. I actually have multiple exhaust methods built into my UDS from the different variations I've put it through.
coewar
I just use the large Bung hole that was in the lid when I got it.
I have a pc sheet metal with a bolt, nuts and a spring, for closing off the chimney when I shut down after the cook.
I have smoked at 200* all the way up to 450* using just 1/2 of the diameter of my basket app. 1/2 full. I add app. 1/2 chimney to that half when I smoke. In my UDS having only 1 hole open still gives me an even burn. Also, I dump my lit coals on top of the old dead coals and have no problem getting my temps or with the taste. I don't have any other exhaust method. I did set up my UDS to smoke and grill. I don't remember when I set the basket up that way, and I've added no other coals than what is in my chimney starter.
I hope this helps. pm me if u feel a need.