View Single Post
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #8465
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I didn't get all the probes in that I wanted but here's what I've got:
2 digital (one 2" from outside of barrel, one centered)
1 12" probe
1 vent probe (weber lid)

The digital probes are showing about 30 degrees difference between the center (over the fire) and the outside. (220 and 190 right now)

The 12" probe everyone likes from wallyworld is showing 300-320 degrees. Basically useless.. (Swapped it out for the other one and same problem, so the probes might be ok but not in this use.)

The lid is showing about 20 degrees warmer than the digitals (or was about 20 minutes ago, its outside..)

This is a "standard" BDS with 1" intakes (3 closed, 1 raised/valved open) and 22" between the bottom of the fire and the grate. Weber lid.

Wanna see?

Update: Opened the lid to take a peek, then opened a vent (so 1.5 1" openings) and it spiked to 270. Re-closed that vent and set the valve at half. Its pretty much stuck right at 270 still. The 30 degree inside/outside offset is still holding steady. I've got stokerlog running to pull temps, I'll post the chart and pics of the probes tomorrow when it finally burns out. As this burns, I'm really thinking the baffle (water pan, pizza stone, bowl of sand, whatever) is necessary to even out the temperatures across the grate..

Oh, and you can watch it semi-live on twitter - @dissmoker. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110816_190438_640.jpg (53.9 KB, 726 views)

Last edited by Disconnect; 08-16-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote