I got a little done today. I cut the bottom of the drum out and I found the inside is unlined. All I have to do is clean out the Windshield Washer fluid and then start drilling the intake holes.
The lid is a little tighter than I realized. I think I'll grind off the rim with a angled edge from the outside to the inside rim edge. I think that will make it just right. As it is right now, it will fit if I press it in place and then it takes a little effort to remove it. I don't want that lid to fight me when the heat is on.
Also I discovered that the bottom cutout can serve as my ash pan. I started to form some sides on it with a hammer and using a log laying by my shop, I can probably get it more or less stretched into a half way decent pan. It doesn't have to be pretty, but I want the sides closer to the 17" diameter so I don't have to fight to get it out of the drum to empty the ash and refill the charcoal.
Last edited by hankll; 08-10-2011 at 09:32 PM..