View Single Post
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default RE: Competition Bound

Concentrate on getting the meat right! No amount of sauce or rub will fix lousy meat.

Don't go changing your seasonings too much - most cooks find that trying to get the "local" flavor costs them. Hit a middle of the road on heat - go heavier on the sweet!

Even in Texas, BBQ judges don't want the taste buds burned out on the first entry - they WILL NOT reward you for hot & spicy!! Trust me, I'm one of them and we talk about this a LOT!

I've never had ribs too spicy (and I know the difference between spicy and hot!) but I've heard a lot of judges complain about too much heat. A nice kick is appreciated - consistent burn and the need for a glass of milk before the next entry is NOT good!

Just my $.02 worth. And yes, I lived in San Antonio for 9 years and have an appriciation for Texas BBQ and all things spicy. :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote