BBQ Brethren "Wing" Throwdown!

Word of warning, the grates they sell at Academy do NOT fit anything that Weber makes, by my own experience.

I like Academy, but I have had to return every grate I bought there, because they didn't fit my grills.

CD

CD, Just for clarification, the grate I have mentioned above your last post is for the SECOND grate of my two tiered Weber, the one that sits above the regular Weber grate. If you use a Weber grate for the second layered grate, it will not work as it is too big.

Did some wings a few nights ago. Cooked indirect with mesquite lump and seasoned with Julio's and coated with Franks Buffalo Sauce. I haven't done a throwdown in a while and since this is chicken hopefully I can cause some sort of debacle or at least set the standards low for everyone else. I forgot to get a bite of wing on a fork but oh well maybe next time. I don't know what pics I like they weren't my best but I'll let Mr. Bigabyte choose for me.

Picture003.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Oh, what the fark, I'm going to eat wings anyway, so why not make throwdown wings. Do I get extra points for making my throwdown entry in 110 degree heat?

I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

I eat a lot of chicken wings. I average one night a week eating wings. They are cheap, relatively healthy, and are a blank canvas for flavor. So, the wing throwdown just kind of fell into my lap. After all, I am going tomake them, anyway, so why not take a shot at the gold.

I like my wings hot, but not over the top hot. I like my wings with something fired on the side. Often, homemade French fries or potato chips.

Tonight, I went with with wings and fried pickles, a Hoot#%&'s combo that I like served by girls in short-shorts and tank tops, but like better when the food actually tastes good.

I marinaded my wings, with the wing tips cut off, in Stubbs Chicken Marinade, because I have been wanting to try it for a long time. I used sprinkle of my favorite homemade rub, a mixture of k-salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to season them, and cooked them over indirect heat on the 18.5 OTS.

I simmered the marinade to the boiling point, to kill off any bacteria, and used that as a basting liquid during the cook.

While that was cooking, I heated up some canola oil, and towel dried some dill pickle chips, and shook them up in a bag of flour, with black and cayenne pepper. I deep fried the pickles until golden brown.

When the wings were done I plated them with a dipping sauce on the side, which was a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and Srirracha (cock sauce) -- one of my favorite sweet and hot blends -- plus just a touch of apple cider vinegar, for a tangy edge like you would normally get with Buffalo wings.

So, here you have it -- my sweet-hot-tangy wings and crispy fried pickles. They turned out great. The pickles were some of my best -- crunchy and delicious. Trust me. :becky:

CD

Attachments

• WingTD.jpg
    WingTD.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 132
The wings looks great, and I think that beer glass might just give you that extra boost!:thumb:

WOW!! those are all some mighty fine wangs and imo they are all Right wings (done right that is)........:clap2:

The wings looks great, and I think that beer glass might just give you that extra boost!:thumb:

I is a hiy class giy. I use nothin but the best mason jars fer my beer glases.

CD :mrgreen:

WOW!! those are all some mighty fine wangs and imo they are all Right wings (done right that is)........:clap2:

Man, there are a lot of really good looking wings in this throwdown. If I had not already planned to make wings, anyway, I would not have gone out and bought wings to enter, because the competition was already that good several days ago.

There are so many ways to make a good chicken wing, this throwdown is wide open. Who knows, even bigabytye could win -- as long as he doesn't enter SPAM wings.

You know, it has been a few days since bigabyte has created a new SPAM entree -- maybe his wife got him back on his meds.

CD :heh:

Great looking wings CD. I'm now officially hungry for another batch of wings. I also fully concur on the beer advantage. Very nice.

Wow guys! All georgeous entries, that's why I didn't even bother enter this one. I am going to HAVE to try doing wings (and thighs) like Smiter Q did, I bet they were gone fast. And I'm loving the recipe Alan in Georgia used, looks tasty. I also love Moose's first pic, wow!

Caseydog, the wings look great but a properly fried pickle should retain all of it's grease, not ooze it all over the napkin.

Caseydog, the wings look great but a properly fried pickle should retain all of it's grease, not ooze it all over the napkin.

Naw, I like a good crunch when I bite into a fried pickle. If the oil doesn't drain off, they get soggy.

BTW, I forgot to say that if you have not tried Stubb's Chicken Marinade, try it. I like it. I ate one wing without sauce just to taste the effects of the marinade, and that alone was good. I give it a :thumb:

CD

Stiff competition here, great job everyone :thumb: I'm doing a load-o-wings tomorrow, hopefully I can get the submitted in time.

Well, you guys got me interested in this throwdown business so I guess I will have to post more cook pics and start participating. What I have grown to really appreciate about TD's, as I had to explain to the girlfriend when questioned about why I came home with more Spam :tsk:, is that it is a challenge to try something different. You can cook butts, ribs, and brisket (except Groundhog :icon_smile_tongue:) all the time but things like this make it much more fun to try something new.

Anyway, I did up some wings today as the weather has finally dipped below 100 for a few days and I was itching to cook something. I grabbed some whole wings from Sam's this morning and acquired some Thai chicken glaze to be used as part of the cook. As you can see, only right wings are used because they are obviously the best wing. Some were left complete as extreme right wingers. Others were just moderate right wingers with a couple that were uncommitted and severed. Cooked them up on the recently acquired Performer (Thanks to Craig and his list) and finished with my glaze mix. The glaze is a mix of said acquired Thai glaze, Sriracha, a spicy ginger sauce and a few other spices. The came out pretty darn good. If I had time I would definitely do a quick brine and smoke them next time. Then maybe finish at a higher temp on the grill to get he skin done. Now, if only there was a TD running for such an item...

IMAG0345.jp

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Yum!

IMAG0374.jpg

Plenty of other pics here too: https://picasaweb.google.com/114495...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK2eiI_Vq6nnFQ&feat=directlink

Greetings Brethren and Sistren,

This is my first throw-down, so show no mercy. Here is my entry into the Wing-off.

First, I brined the wings in a simple kosher salt and brown sugar brine:
Wings1.jpg

Next, I sprinkled them with some basic barbecue rub, then onto the OTG for a couple of hours at 300 or so.
Wings2.jpg

I brushed each wing with EVOO about 10 minutes before I pulled them, and then with Anchor Bar wing sauce about 5 minutes before I pulled them.
Wings3.jpg

Finally, a last brush with some Anchor Bar sauce and plated with my favorite coleslaw.
Wings4.jpg

They had a nice flavor, with more smoke than spice. Even my wife, who is not a fan of buffalo wings, enjoyed them.

Thanks for looking.

Those look mighty tasty. Pleasing the wife is always a bonus :thumb:

Back