View Single Post
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
It probably would, but again, my goal was to avoid a diffuser as I've heard the barrel burns through a lot more fuel.
It does burn more fuel, it's only logical that it does. I'm not sure I'd call it "a lot more fuel." Whether you're willing to sacrifice burning more fuel to even out the heat is a situational decision.

It's easy to comprehend that it would take less fuel to heat a 9" diameter circle to 250 deg than it would to heat an 18" or even a 22" diameter circle to 250 degrees. There is more area to heat up with the larger circles.

Do you want a hot, small circle to cook in or do you want a large circle to cook in? The answer depends on what you're cooking.

If you're only cooking a single butt or a couple of fatties or some item that would basically fit into the smaller area, having no diffuser would be the most efficient way to go.

If you're cooking a large assortment of items such as 50 chicken wings, or 4 racks of ribs it could be easier to spread out your heat and bite the more fuel bullet, unless you want to keep rotating your items.

Mutiple diffusers seem the best option for me. Right now I have a 10" diameter diffuser and a 16" diffuser. The amount of food I'm cooking will decide which diffuser I choose. The larger diffuser will create a larger area with the even temperature cooking area and will require more fuel to keep that larger area hot.

Having the grate down below that allows the option of a diffuser of choice or even no diffuser seems best to me. Personally I'd prefer to not have to rotate the food I'm cooking. I prefer to keep the lid on and prevent temp changes.
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote