View Single Post
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What Hub said, but also some of it is regional. I'm not talking so much to the flavors but as to whether to sauce and how much you sauce. Also which sanctioning bodies you compete in/with. Right here I wouldn't dare present an unsauced rib in KCBS, but MBN no problem if it's great without sauce. Other areas may very well differ. Here, in MBN, if you sauce your pork ahead of time you're liable to get destroyed on scores (sauce, if presented, should be in the cup), but in KCBS you can get away with it, but it should be VERY light. I think other regions would view this differently.

See if you cant talk with a few other competitors from your region and see what they have to say.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->