View Single Post
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Pictures always help, but really the best way to learn what the judges are (currently) liking is to take the KCBS Certified Judge's course and judge at least ten competitions.

I know that a lot of judges appreciate samples that aren't overly saucy. But not all. Some especially like ribs that have no sauce.

The key here is that each part of each piece of each entry have some flavor. That's probably the most basic element. I can't tell you how many times I've started to taste a chicken sample, enjoying the sauce on the perfectly bite through skin, only to munch down on bland, dry, nondescript meat.

Same thing happens with ribs quite a bit. The smell and the sauce on top are outstanding, but the meat is blahsville.

As for the pork, same thing. Make sure that the meat has some flavor. Vinegar based sauces work OK, as long as they are well balanced with sweetness and you can still taste some pork in there somewhere.

Hope this helps.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->