Unread 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_BBQ View Post

Do you buy commercial or make your own?
I would love to make my own but have no clue where to start.

I do not have a stand, or trailer, or a brick and mortar store. Though I think it is important to have one of your own recipes to offer as a sauce. If it was me, the last thing I would want is someone to say to me as I am starting my business, "Hey dude, I know this sauce flavor! I buy the same at Walmart!" I can not imagine that the visual imagery of that customer, or anyone in earshot would be good. The last thing you want to be known as is, "The Walmart BBQ Dude."

As for what to serve them out of, take a visit to a good restaurant supply dealership if you have not been to one recently.
You can buy squeeze bottles, little sauce cups with tops, etc. Make sure to set up a corporate account first visit,
bring a TAX ID #, etc.

Here are a couple of books that I think would help you out. They are FILLED with recipes and ideas. I would try a sweet sauce, and a spicy to start. Maybe a mustard too. The investment in your business is worth a couple of low cost books. Try some of the recipes at home, add your own twist(like maybe adding a local beer to it or something.) Presently, I have these very same books at my house, on loan from the library. Perhaps yours would have one too if you want to try to save some cash. But I think they are worth the dough. Both are under $10 each.

Amazon.com: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas (Non) (9781558321250): Paul Kirk: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Xq5zw-4OL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Xq5zw-4OL

Amazon.com: Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes (9780761119791): Steven Raichlen: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B2F%2B%2BtiIL.@@AMEPARAM@@51B2F%2B%2BtiIL
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote