View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

Default 1st Shot at Bacon

So I have been wanting to try this for awhile. I've read lots of posts here about this. So I was at Restaurant Depot the other day and there in the freezer were cases of Pork Bellies...So I got one. There were 2 different brands. Hatfield & ConAgra. Couldn't find any differences on the labels so I got the cheaper one. The book I use the most is Rytek Kutas' Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing. For each slab (about 10# each) it is 1 cup of salt, 4 TBS Instacure #1 (Pink salt) and 1 cup Honey. I cut the skin off the slabs (That is a HUGH PIA, BTW. Anyone got a quick easy way to do that) and then put them in a tub and poured the cure all over them and rubbed it in really well. I covered it and put the whole thing in fridge. I did this Friday. I plan to rotate the bellies every day to get the cure nice and even. On Thursday I'm going to take them out, rinse them well and put them in the smoker at about 130F with some Hickory & Cherry. I think I'm going to rub some cracked Black Pepper on one and see how that goes.

So how does it sound? Any ideas?

Sorry, no pictures of the 1st step but I will have picture of the rest.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote