BBQ Brethren "Summer of SPAM" Throwdown!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My Second, Most Humble Entry...

Grilled SPAM, Roasted Jalapeno, Olive Oil based Mayo, Cracked Black Pepper,
Potato Bun......Delightful!!!!
SPAMMY.jpg

Ok, I think we have enough now. Let's just run that voting poll and be done with it before this gets any worse ... please! :pray:

Ok, I think we have enough now. Let's just run that voting poll and be done with it before this gets any worse ... please! :pray:

No, no, no not yet, I still have two more really cool ideas. One may even be almost as cool as the SPAndy bars, though deguerre just said he didn't think I could top that one.

Spambalaya

I made this today for the SPAM Throwdown. I didn't get to take as many pics as usual so I will describe the process instead of just giving a pictorial.

I started with some cubed SPAM. You SPAM experts might notice that there are not enough chunks to correlate to an entire loaf of SPAM, and you are right. The rest is being used for something to be shown at serving time.
r_IMG_0896.jpg

Then I rubbed an aluminum half-pan with oil and added the SPAM cubes along with a chopped onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. I put this over direct heat on my Weber Kettle using lump charcoal, stirring occasionally until the vegetables started getting tender and the SPAM was just starting to brown on the corners. At that point I added a 1-1/2 cups of Chicken Broth (no salt), a can of Stewed Tomatoes and some seasoning. I cooked this over direct heat until the liquid started to boil.
r_IMG_0898.jpg

Then I added a cup of long grain rice (yes, there is rice in there).
r_IMG_0899.jpg

I moved this to indirect heat and covered with foil for about 25-30 minutes until the rice had absorbed all the liquid and become tender, adding some shrimp during the final minutes, and served it in a SPAM Bowl.
r_IMG_0900.jpg

It was really damn good!:thumb: The bowl was a little salty for my tastes, but it was still edible (the bowl was better with some hot sauce splashed on it:thumb:).

Very creative. It looked really good on the grill. I was with you right until the bowl. While I appreciate it I just don't know if I could handle that much "raw" Spam. Without the bowl I could have almost bought a Spamtouffee or Spambalaya. That actually sounds good now. *adds to list*

Back