View Single Post
Unread 07-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
BrooklynQ
Banned

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I promised RonL this recipe a long time ago, but couldn't find the cookbook. This is an incredible cake. Rich, moist, excellent. Everytime my wife makes it, people rave about it and want the recipe.

SACHERTORTE
Makes about 16 servings

8 eggs
6 oz (6 squares semisweet baking chocolate)
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanillla
1 cup cake flour sifted
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup apricot preserves, heated and mashed with fork (Sometimes she uses cherry or orange)

Preheat oven to 275. Line bottom of 9" springfoam pan with greased wax paper.

Seperate 7 of the eggs; leave 1 egg whole; set aside.

In double boiler, melt chocolate; let cool slightly.

Using medium speed on mixer, cream butter. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the sugar. and continue creaming until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, then chocolate.

Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, then beat in the whole egg.
Using low speed, mix in the flour.

Ina seperate bowl, using high speed with clean beaters, whip egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Gradually add remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

Fold into chocolate mixture.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 1-1/3 hours until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool slightly. Remove sides of pan. Let cool competely.

Halve cake horizontally. Spread preserves evenly on bottom half of torte. Top with remaining half. Frost with european chocolate icing.

EUROPEAN CHOCOLATE ICING
2oz (2 squares) semisweet baking chocolate
2oz (2 squares) un-sweeted baking chocolate
1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
3 tablespoons whipping cream (Approximetely)

To make icing, melt chocolate in double bolier. Beat in sugar and cream alternately until smooth and of spreading consistency.

Trust me - this is damn good!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote