View Single Post
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I had thought about composite - but the cost would be too much. Cedar also crossed my mind since that's what my deck and fence are made out of but I couldn't find the right size pieces. Going to use all 1X4X6 or 1X4X8, depending on stock and just cut the pieces to length. They didn't have any 2X4 Cedar for legs - could I just use pine for that or would it look really weird to have two woods? Not planning on staining any color - just a few clear coats of helmsman.

The knotty pine is a nice smooth surface. Timzcardz – Why work between knots in the pine? I thought they looked nice and if they’re not too big will the knots affect the build at all? They advertise the knotty pine as being good for furniture at HD – so I figured it’d be ok to leave the knots in – but then again – I know absolutely zero about wood.

Badgeman – “decking material”? I don’t remember seeing this – just pressure treated and cedar which they advertise for using in decks. Is S4S the same as pre-sanded deck material? I noticed the spruce was rough to touch and not always straight whereas the knotty and select pine seemed smooth and cut precisely (was S4S).

Thanks for all the advice guys – will go back tonight and look at the wood again to see. Should be an interesting project – hopefully I’ll keep all my fingers