View Single Post
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #8235
otis
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I use 3 U-bolts for my grates- slightly more support than 3 regular bolts, I guess. I use U-bolts because they are round, so I don't scrape myself reaching down to the fire basket, and I also use them to mount my fire basket when in the upper grilling position. I have 3 legs sticking out from the basket that rest on the lower set of U-bolts, and they each have a stud sticking down to fit into the U-bolt so it can't slide off. I use SS acorn nuts on the outside of the drum on the U-bolts for nice bling.

I just measured mine, and there is about 5" of grill outside of the straight line between U-bolts. It would be hard to get something heavy enough to tip the grill in that small space. It's never been an issue.
Pics please?? I've been trying to get my head around how to make this work on my drum, also using the 3 ubolts. I'm thinking about flipping the charcoal basket over since my sides are so tall. I tried using just a length of metal rod between each of the ubolts. It held the grate, but not very securely. I'm looking for a way to make this work as a grill, along with being an awesome smoker.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote