View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #32
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A few years ago, I conducted an experiment:

A couple that we are very close to always insisted on having their meat cooked medium well. Anything less was unacceptable to them.

One night, I cooked two steaks, one medium well, and the other somewhere between rare and medium rare. Both steaks were seasoned identically.

I then blindfolded both of them, and they sampled a piece of the medium well meat, then they sampled a piece of the rare/medium rare meat.

The feedback was immediately unanimous- they loved the rarer meat, but thought the medium well was overcooked, dry, and flavorless.

When I took their blindfolds off, they were shocked to see what they had just eaten. I asked them to continue eating the medium well steak, but they wouldn't have any of it. They wanted the rarer meat, and they wanted it now!

Since then, they have never ordered or prepared anything but medium rare.

My point is this: The perception of a less cooked piece of meat is a visual turn off for some people. Yet, when they can't see what they are eating, they naturally prefer the moister, more flavorful less cooked meat.

I could add numerous comments, but I really think this story speaks for itself.
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Last edited by Moose; 07-10-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->