View Single Post
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I've had a Traeger for many years and now also an FEC100. I've had a Klose stickburner, I own two WSM's so I've tried it all. I love the pellet smokers for the ease of use and consistensy. The pellet smokers make a milder smoke product that I think is just right. It is too easy to oversmoke meat on a WSM and especially the stickburners. The rule of thumb with the pellet smokers is that the lower heat setting you use the heavier the smoke because they burn much cleaner at high heat. You will have much more smoke at 225 degrees than cranking it up to 325 or higher. You also have an option if you want a little heavier smoke to smoke for a few hours at a very low temp like 170 degrees then up it to your cooking temperature. Nothing you would do would normally oversmoke meat except for chicken which is a good thing. Also, using Hickory or Mesquite will give a stronger smoke flavor than say Apple or Oak.
Micro stickburner Rec-Tec pellet smoker, Yoder YS1500 and Stumps Stretch on order, 14" Original 1880 WSM, and Ridiculously Fast Red Thermapen. Past cookers: FEC100, FEC120, Klose stick burner, 22.5 WSM, Traeger BBQ125, Traeger Lil Tex.
K-Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote