View Single Post
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

go with a mix of apple and cherry or just hickory. Apple and cherry are my fav though.

250-275 is a good range. Baby backs usually 4-5 hours. Sometimes faster. just depends.
You could, IF YOU FEEL this way, is to foil them with honey and brown sugar after they have smoked for 2 hours. I foil for 45 to 60 min and then back onto the smoker till done. if no foil, spritz every 30-45 min after the first hour of smoke. Spritz with cider vinager mixed with cranberry or apple juice. I use honey mixed with apple juice.

Apple sauce once done and only allow to be on there 10 min or so.

a really good finishing glaze is as follows: This is not mine

3 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup prepared yellow ballpark mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar Option. 1 teaspoon salt. I just think it makes a great sauce even better.Option. 1 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Ditto.
Option. 3 tablespoons of your favorite rub adds a layer of complexity.
Option. 3 tablespoons of butter will add richness and depth.
Option. Jack Waiboer of Charleston, a champion competition cook and teacher of cue, says that substituting Southern Comfort for half the vinegar is a really nice thing.

Do this
1) Whisk all the ingredients together thoroughly in a cold saucepan. Heat gently over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar and mustard are dissolved completely, about 4 minutes. If it starts to boil, turn it down immediately. Try it first without the hot pepper sauce and butter options.
2) Here's how to use it, in Danny's own words: "The instant the ribs are pulled from the pit, coat them with a generous brushing of warm glaze. If you pull the ribs, chase the dog, talk to your buddy for a couple of minutes, then try and apply the glaze, you've waited too long." You can also serve it as a dipping sauce, warm, at tableside.