Thread: i give up !
View Single Post
Unread 05-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
High Q
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

George,

I made the same decision about a year ago. I was getting my brain all bent around different flavor profiles, the prominence of particular spices and many other things that were taking me away from prepping my meat properly, managing my fire and working on all those other things that are more important to get right (in my opinion of course).

On my beef, I generally use course black pepper and kosher salt - hard to screw that up. When I don't use salt and pepper, I use a variety of rubs from Texas BBQ Rub. I particularly like the Grand Champion for beef, the Original for pork and Texas Wild for chicken. They are available on line.

I buy my sauces from a local BBQ joint. I have also built up quite a stock participating in the 'Sauce and Rub Trades' via the Brethren that have exposed me to rubs and sauces from around the country. If you are patient, give that a try - I have enjoyed it very much and gotten to know a brethren or two more closely.

Jeff
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote