View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
last contest, we got a 1st in briosket, 2nd in ribs, 3rd in pork, and then 13th in chicken.

The chicken thighs were pretty good, but we also added a row of breasts and i think thats what killed us. I really believe if we left the breast out, we would have hit chicken too. Once its sliced, it gets cold faster, and tends to dry out.. also, unless you absoilutly nail it, it wont stand up to a good thigh and will drag the score down when the judges samples both.
I've seen that happen SO many times when judging -

The judges are instructed that if a team turns in both styles to take a bite of both. So many times a team will hit one of the styles spot on - and then totally miss with the other, dragging down their otherwise outstanding performance.

But - we are to judge the meat that's been presented.

The two styles make for more presentation options - and I have to say the appearance scores can go up with more than one style (not necessarily, but can). But taste is weighted far more than appearance.

So when I compete - I am turning in one style only.

And congrats on your excellent results!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote