THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You don't need to be embarrassed. I built mine mostly with found, stolen, or gifted parts and only spent around $50.00 and that's including the paint to freehand the flames.

Every cook has been either very good or fantastic and I've acquired a few fans that call and ask if I'm smoking anything on the weekend and if they can come over for dinner.

I always say ok if they bring Beer or Bourbon (Makers Mark or Buffalo Trace.)

I have another UDS in the works that I'll go a bit more up scale with black iron nipple intakes instead of magnets and multiple rack locations that will cost around $125.00 to finish.

Howler thanks. that sounds reasonable to my budget! thanks for the encouragement

picture.php
I got 6 barels from a movie set here in NM, they were just scenery, brand new and painted. they have some dents but you can't beat the price.. I think they were $10 a piece (score). nuts and bolts, I bought from home depot, in bulk since I'm going to be makeing more, Grill from Home Depot $19 Expanded metal was like $20, 3/4 in ball valve $14, 10" 3/4 nipples, $9 X 4, and various paint.. I LOVE MY UDS! I have been cooking on them for the past couple of years and I have yet to find a problem with them. The best part about a UDS.. it's yours, make it how you want it!

Last edited:
I put together a Standard issue UDS for a friend of mine and wanted to share a pic of the charcoal basket I make for mine.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,796
These are some fantastic smokers, I cannot wait to build one when I get back from Afghanistan!

After I burned mine out I let it sit for about 2 weeks. Not good. Some elbow grease and naval jelly fixed that.

Lid.jpg

lid2.jpg

naval.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish1.jpg

Brilliant work, sir!

Thanks. I posted an answer to the thermocouple adapters over in the UDS thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1639116&postcount=7918

I haven't done anything inside the drum for them yet. I'm cooking tomorrow and plan to decide if I need a hook or something to keep them organized. I put them into the drum right under my rack so they would not be in the way.

(oops, I answered your question but I see the question is gone now...)

Thanks. I posted an answer to the thermocouple adapters over in the UDS thread here.
(oops, I answered your question but I see the question is gone now...)

I saw that you'd answered it over there, and so rather than clog this up, I took out the question!

As to the inside, I more meant your general layout, what kind of basket you used, etc. Although I think I found those photos already, too. I've tried to get through the bulk of the UDS thread, but can only do so much each day!

As to the inside, I more meant your general layout, what kind of basket you used, etc. Although I think I found those photos already, too. I've tried to get through the bulk of the UDS thread, but can only do so much each day!

Here's my basket. It's a pizza pan from Ace Mart with 1/4" ss ubolts on the bottom to hold it up, a square fence post base bolted to that, and a 24" long 1/2" pipe welded to it, with a cap on it that is used as a handle. It has a 1/4" diameter rod 3" long welded to it. the basket is expanded metal bent into a circle welded to a Weber 13.5" diameter replacement grill and stands off the pizza pan 2" using 5/16" ss eye bolts. It has a steel washer in the bottom so it can be lifted off the pizza pan for cleaning. Not my design, it came from Nocoredneck and I think it's a terrific design.

DSC_1380.JPG

Back