BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #4 - Chicken Leg Quarters (Today is the last day to enter!)

Honestly, had you not said anything, I thought the chicken was on a bed of rice and had garnish on top. The peppers are pretty much the only problem. I'll let this one slide just this once!:thumb:

I saw that right away, but like Phubar's, I assumed the chicken slid off that rice. It's not like rice can be considered a side anyway. I mean, who eats rice? :crazy:

Had it been Gore, things would have been different of course. He needs a threepeat.

Thanks Chris, I'll try to live up to your expectations.

Absolutely could not believe my luck. Came home and found chicken already marinating. Aren't I lucky! My wife spoils me rotten. She apparently de-boned and de-skinned them too. :shock: One batch was made with Phubar's special seasoning block seen in the front of this pic:

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

and the other was just some simple BBQ sauce

IMG_1884.jpg

Threw these on the grill

IMG_1887.jpg

Love those special effects. I'm counting on them hypnotizing Chris, so he forgets what the special Throwdown rules are. He can be such a stickler for rules sometimes. :crazy: And here they are all plated up and ready to eat.

IMG_1888.jpg

I must admit that the meat was a bit lighter than most of the leg quarters I've had, but it was really good in any case. :thumb: And as you can see, there are no sides seen in this pic whatsoever, ... so I'm good. :becky:

Here is my entry. I decided to do a different kind of kettle fried chicken this time. And here is my entry Fish Fried Kettle Chicken! I could only find preseasoned thighs at my local grocery store today and their house seasoning is actually pretty good so I picked up a package and got to work. I made a mixture of Louisiana Fish Fry and panko bread crumbs and breaded the chicken with it. I also sprinkled a little extra rub on the thighs for good measure. Cooked them indirect with a small cherry chunk for smoke. The texture on these was awesome! But you need to eat it immediately because the chicken was so juicy (pulled at 180) it started to lose some crunchiness after a while but this chicken doesn't last long anyways. Special thanks to Mr. Bigabyte for helping me post these pics due to my internet woes.

pics2001.jpg

pics2002.jpg

pics2007.jpg

pics2009.jpg

pics2011.jpg

pics2013.jpg

pics2017.jpg

LOL @ Gore!!!
I've never used that block for seasoning bePhore!
That is spicey peanut sauce...you have to crumble it down and warm it up in some coconutmilk (milk and water will work too) untill it thickens up.
If it worked for marinade...carry on what you were doing Brother!:becky:

Great looking chicken Al! Neither you nor Phubar went traditional KFC, interesting.

LOL @ Gore!!!
I've never used that block for seasoning bePhore!
That is spicey peanut sauce...you have to crumble it down and warm it up in some coconutmilk (milk and water will work too) untill it thickens up.
If it worked for marinade...carry on what you were doing Brother!:becky:

I was learning from Pitmaster T. He's telling me to open my mind and mix it up a bit. Incidentally, it makes a great marinade!

Great looking chicken Al! Neither you nor Phubar went traditional KFC, interesting.
Yeah I kind of figured if this is a throwdown I might as well try to be creative and do something different instead of just playing it safe. Masters don't play safe :cool: So I hear

Last edited:
Well I guess since I cooked up some chicken quarters, I might as well enter them here.

First of all, these were some funky cut leg/thigh quarters. I got them at Fresh and Easy on the way home from the golf course today because they were on sale for .89/lb. There wasnt much care in the butchering of these quarters...

As you can see, I had alot of trimming to do.

DSC02614.jpg

Here they are nice and trimmed. I scored them to allow my Apple Jerk rub to penetrate deeper into the meat and also allow for the rendered fat a place to escape and allow the skin to get crispfied. (I may be blowing smoke, but hey...it sounds good, right?)

DSC02615.jpg

Here they are with the Apple Jerk rub applied.

DSC02616.jpg

and onto the egg at 300­° with a chunk of applewood thrown in for good measure.

DSC02617.jpg

I cooked them for about 45 minutes and then basted them with a mixture of lemon juice, EVOO, garlic and honey every 10-15 min until done. They may not be the prettiest quarters you have ever seen, but they were farkin delish! Nice crispy skin with just the right amount of heat from the jerk rub!

DSC02618.jpg

Back