View Single Post
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippylip View Post
You're probably right on the scale recommendation, but I've been doing it this way for over 15 years & have just avoided it (lazy ), I enjoy the slight variations I get from time to time - plus I think after you know what you're looking for, it's pretty easy to get it right... I did fail to mention in the warm rise that adjustments will need to be made, the 1.5 cups of water & 4 cups of flour isn't absolute, sometimes minor adjustments will need to be made to get the right consistency. After some practice it comes together for most people. You're also right on the amount of yeast vs. time; my cold rise method works best for about 4 days, I've gone shorter & longer with it, but that's about as far as I'd go with it here... thanks, Marc
My best pies seem to be around 4 days as well...although I do have 2 balls in the fridge (so to speak!) and am going to do one at 5 days and the other at 6. What kind of flour are you using? I started off with KABF and KAAP, and recently been buying the 25lb bags at sams - I have gotten almost totally away from straight bread flour...lately it has been AP/Caputo mix as I seem to get a more open crumb and seems I can control the gluten development better (ie I tend to over mix bread flour and it is too tough for me).
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote