View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #175
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

On to the 9th entry!

Thanks goes to phyphor for his entry of "Kansas City Style BBq Sauce Style".

#9 phyphor (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=39)

This one is a one my son likes I spice mine up with a drop of Blair 2 am

Kansas City Style BBq Sauce Style

2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Add Heat to your level of tolerance

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and whisk until smooth.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until mixture is thick.
3. Cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight so that flavors can develop.
Makes 2 cups.

Recipe Review:

Notes: Vinegar was Heinz, Molasses a mix of Brer Rabbit and Grandma's. For the spices, I used Penzeys with the liquid smoke being a mixture of Tones and Colgins.

Ingredients: The ingredients are quite telling, pointing at a sweet, sticky, smokey, KC style sauce with a touch of spice.

Ease of preparation: A simple list of ingredients, with the most time consuming step being the simmering and reduction of the sauce. I would estimate it takes about 50 minutes in total from start to finish.

Taste/Texture: Sweet, strong and smokey, with a slightly cloying mouthfeel to it which I put down to the corn syrup. I found that this reminded me of the bottled KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce (the first smokey BBQ sauce I ever tried), but unfortunately, not in a good way, as I feel I have since moved on and found much better sauces.

Recommendations: I felt that it was a bit too sticky and smokey, with the combination of corn syrup and liquid smoke giving it an artificial feeling. I would try switching the corn syrup to raw sugar, and either reducing the amount of liquid smoke and using some of the cooking drippings, or putting some smoked spanish paprika or chipotle in.

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 There is no doubt that it is a nice looking sauce, very typical of your BBQ sauces - thick, rich and dark looking (although not as dark as bottled KC Masterpiece sauce as it lacks the added caramel colouring).

Consistency: 6/10 Unfortunately one of its letdowns. A bit too syrupy for my likings. Although this means it clings extremely well to certain cuts (e.g. ribs and chicken), it also makes you feel that you are using a bottled sauce. Thankfully there is no added cornstarch to make the matter worse.

Taste: 6/10 Whilst it had an element of nostalgia, the sauce did not win me over. It did have a good balance of sweet/sour/salty, and with some added hotsauce for the chilli lovers, all of the elements balance well. Though it still has that slightly artificial feel to it, and with the small amount of spices, it is mostly "just" a sweet and smokey sauce.

Versatility: 6/10 I can definitely see this being used on a slab of ribs, when you want a sticky, messy meal and want a lot of smoke and sweetness (hey, some people love that!), but not so much on pulled pork or chicken in my opinion.

Overall Rating: 5.5/10. This sauce could be changed for the better in my mind, but if you are looking at re-creating bottled KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce at home, I think this could definitely be used as a copycat recipe. It has a very similar taste and texture (minus the darkness from colouring and extra thickness from thickeners), unfortunately, it has a very one-dimensional feel to it which was a bit of a letdown..

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from top (Water + Vinegar not shown):

Tomato Paste + Vinegar, Salt + Onion Powder + Pepper + Paprika + Garlic Powder, Molasses + Brown Sugar + Liquid Smoke
2.) After cooking for about 45 minutes until reduced and thick:

3.) Sauce after slight cooling:

Thank you once again phyphor for the recipe

Next up, gixxers sauce
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->