View Single Post
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #166
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D BBQ View Post
Just read this whole thread from the beginning. After a rough start, the thread came around and is very entertaining.

Keep up the good work, and I might just send you Big D's BBQ sauce :)
Sounds good, I am always open to samples!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe View Post
Great thread! Thanks for all your trouble....
My pleasure, it has been a lot of fun so far! Very enlightening too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMAY View Post
Man I have a ways to go till you get to my sauce...
I will get there, don't you worry ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Hey infernooo, I'll throw my original into the mix. It's pretty popular with our subdivision at least! Always asked if we'll bottle and sell it. I can't wait to see your opinion. Lately we've been increasing the honey and decreasing the molasses, but keeping the total of both to 3/4 cup.

Pork Pistols Original

6 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder

4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup Jack Daniels
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Blend to smooth if any spices have chunked.

makes 5 cups.
Looks like a good sauce with some common ingredients, should be good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Good luck on that. I mean, great, look forward to it. I gotta try these mustard sauces, it is something not really in my BBQ repertoire.
Some of them are VERY good, SoFlaquers is the best of the ones I have tried so far - complex, but a great balance of flavours and versatile too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Thanks for all the effort and money you are investing in this project
My pleasure, it has been great so far to see the differences between sauces and the elements that can make or break them or make them more or less suitable to certain meats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
This is an awesome thread for a newbie to read. I've been wondering about homemade sauces, but I haven't had the time to research it so I have been using grocery store bottled sauces (gasp!). I am so glad the thread got back on track as I loved the very first introduction and idea. I am sooooo inexperienced! Thank you infernoo and BBQchef33.
Commercial sauces can be very hit & miss - there are definitely some outstanding ones (just think about the amount of time and experimentation that many sauce makers spend on their products), but also some VERY mediocre sauces.

Quote:
I may be harsh, but I have tried a LOT of sauces (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...841_resize.jpg), so my standards are pretty high ;)
Hi Infernoo,
Do you keep a journal or some sort of record/notes of all of the bottled sauces that you have tried?[/QUOTE]

I do indeed! I have a record of tasting notes and ratings for all of those bottled sauces.

Quote:
Infernoo,
What you are doing is pretty amazing and very interesting to this newbie who has never made a sauce. I received my Traeger for Christmas and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Your sauce experiment is very interesting and enjoyable. Keep up the good work and thank you for all of your hard work.
Thanks Erin, I appreciate the kind comments ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
When you are finished with all the sauces will you compile a list of them with recipes and ratings in a format that will be ez to print ?
I hope so, if I have the time and willpower to do so! Just making the sauces, doing the write ups and replying in this thread is pretty damn time consuming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
I just made a great sauce, 64oz of ketchup, some mustard, oregano, apple sauce, cherry preserves, minced garlic, some simply marvelous sweet and spicy rub, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, etc. Can't wait to use it!
Sounds good, the marvelous rubs are a great product, so I would imagine a sauce using them would be pretty special

Quote:
Yes Infernoo,
This is such a wonderful thread. A keeper/classic. One to be referenced in the future. I have been cutting and pasting your work into a word document. When I get better at what I am just beginning to learn I want to come back to this project and study the recipes. This goes along with some new books I bought from Amazon. I am also taking a BBQ class this month. You are helping me. This is such a wonderful thing for a newbie like me to stumble upon. Thank you Infernoo!!!!
You are welcome! Experimenting and researching is the best way to find what works for you. As mentioned numerous times, taste, barbecue and most certainly bbq sauces are extremely subjective, and you will find out pretty quickly what style of sauces "work" best for you and which you enjoy most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Tso's Southern Style BBQ Sauce

Here is a recipe that I developed because my wife and daughter really like Gen. Tso's Hunan Chicken but they don't like the fact that it's deep fried. I slightly modified the General Tso's chicken sauce to make it more like BBQ sauce. The recipe follows.

1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup light soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 TBS crushed garlic
1 TBS finely chopped ginger
2 Sliced spring onions
1 TBS Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
1/3 cup cool water (preferably bottled but tap water is fine as long as it is not warm or hot)
3 TBS of corn starch
1/2 to 1 TBS Sesame Oil (to taste)

Mix the vinegar, wine, soy, sugar, red and white pepper, onions, garlic, and ginger and heat in a sauce pan. Mix the water and corn starch in a small bowl/cup and set aside (don't add it yet).

When the sauce comes to a boil and you think the alcohol from the wine has cooked off, whisk in just enough of the water and corn starch mixture to bring the sauce to the thickness that you want. Then remove from heat and whisk in the Sesame Oil.

Use the warm sauce to glaze grilled/BBQ chicken or pork. Haven't tried it on beef, but I bet it's pretty good on that too.

Sounds VERY interesting... we don't have that dish here in Australia (we tend to focus more on traditional Chinese and Cantonese food)... added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
This should become a sticky thread! Keep the reviews and recipes coming! Great stuff!
It is up to the mods, but I will keep going, thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Great! I'll be watching (as if I haven't been watching all along.....).
Mine's simple and easy.....but I LOVE it!

Thanks again for doing this infernooo! It's quite a commitment, if you ask me! I'm really digging the reviews too!!!
Haha you are welcome, the review of your submitted sauce will be up very soon. Thanks again for submitting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Wampus, good luck. For what it's worth, I found that sending infernooo $500 US
helps. ;-)
$500? You said $250 ;(

Quote:
I am laughing at Lake Dogs! Again, Infernoo I love what you are doing here. I look everyday for an update. Thanks for doing what you are doing. This newbie is enjoying it.
Thanks Erin, hopefully I can update it a bit more frequently from now on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Just wanted to jump in here and say Thanks to all who are submitting their recipes, and especially thanks to infernoo for making them and grading them. I'm new to BBQ but I'm a huge fan of making my own sauces, and there's quite a few in here I'll be trying out.
There is something special about a great homemade sauce... knowing that you can whip it up whenever you want and not having to rely on someone else is terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hey Infernoo,
Here is a sauce variant for you, more of a mop sauce except that it forms its own glaze as you cook it on. It is used like a spray on mop (like that makes sense). It will work great on pork ribs and I suspect as a mix in for pulled pork as well.

Pig Honey Sauce
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
1/4 cup Braggs Amino Acids
1/8 cup Honey
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar

Combine all ingredients and bring to just short of a boil, maintain heat until sugar is dissolved. See above for use. I believe it is important not to boil this mixture as I believe the boil process will cause the proteins to denature and not function in the manner I want it to work. I have also become aware of the loss of character that fish sauce can suffer when excessively boiled.
Wow, that sounds pretty special, I will definitely give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMac View Post
Wow. I had not looked at this thread for awhile. Looks like I was missing out!

Thanks again Infernoo!
You are welcome, hopefully I can keep things going regularly!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->