Unread 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
Ag76
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworley View Post
Ag76 - All three times I have tried brisket the meat has come to temp very quickly. I didn't check temp at time of panning, just went by time. I had injected the brisket so there was at least 5-6 cups of au jus in the pan after cooking but I did not add anymore at the pan stage. I forgot to note the flat temp but it was higher than 200. My first reaction was that the pit was running hot but I verified temp with a remote probe (was 10 degrees lower at the grate then the digital probe displayed but close enough).
My suggestions would be:

1. Check the accuracy of all thermometers/probes you are using. I boil some water on the stove and see how close to 212 I get. Calibrate accordingly if your thermometer allows for it.

2. Add ~ 1/4" of liquid such as water or beer to the pan before foiling.

3. Pan and foil at 160 to 165.

4. Start checking for tenderness with the probe at ~ 185. You might have to go up to 200 to reach the point where the probe inserts like it is going into a soft stick of butter.

I have cooked a lot of excellent briskets using the high heat method, mainly because I do not have 12 - 15 hours to spend on it due to my work load. You can also cook a great brisket using low and slow, i.e., maintaining a pit temp of ~ 210 - 225. Be prepared to spend 12-15 hours if you do it this way, possibly longer for a big brisket.

If I can be of any more help, I would be more than glad to. I have certainly received more than my fair share here.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

2 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote